Exactly one year ago, I left my French hometown and sat down in a plane for a 12-hours flight, ready to start a new adventure. When I decided to moved to the U.S., I knew things were about to change but I had no idea how much I’d be happy to call San Francisco home someday.
I like to picture my life as a book. Every page is an adventure, every chapter is a milestone. But, of course, life is not that linear. Have you ever read those books where you are the hero and you get to choose what chapter you’re gonna read next? Well, I guess it’s more like it.
During this whole year, my state of mind changed about a hundred times, jumping between excitement, nostalgia, happiness and boredom. Being unauthorized to work because of VISA issues was hard, but day after day, I learned how to pick myself up, beating down frustration by making things I love, learning new stuff, planning self-projects for fun and meeting awesome people.
This article is just an excuse to take a step back and make a quick review of this past year.
- I met people I can call friends ❤
- I celebrated my first “Frenchgiving”
- I spent my Christmas holiday in a beautiful cabin, lost in Oregon
- I attended awesome meetups
- I started a Burger Quest
- I created People over Heroes
- I got to be a guest in the most amazing podcast ever!!
- I [finally] launched my portfolio
- I finished Batman Arkham Knight (100% completed)
- I saw The Warriors becoming NBA Champions
- I became a Catan aficionado
- I played basketball with amazing people
- I discovered Fireball
- I started playing with watercolor
- I baked more than a hundred desserts
- I mentally got ready for my first day at Facebook
Here I am, 365 days later, writing these line in my rocking chair, eating cookies and wondering if I’ll get to live happily ever after.
In 2 weeks, I’ll turn another page by joining Facebook. I don’t know what comes next, but I don’t want to jump to the end yet. This is the beginning of something new and I intend to make it count.
According to me, the right time to make good resolutions is not on January 1st, it’s every time we start a new chapter of our lives. Time flies, people change but memories stay. In the end, you’re the hero of your own story, you can do anything! JUST DO IT!