Its 69 years since India became a sovereign and democratic republic. Some random facts:
- Life expectancy rose from 32 years (shows how terrible the British rule was!) to 65 years (2x)
- Literacy went from 16% to 74% (5x)
- Population grew from 330M to 1300M (4x)
- Food Grain Production 50MT to 250MT (5x)
- GDP rose from INR 2.7 lakh cr. to 60 lakh cr. (20x)
- Tiger population in India went from 40,000 to 2,200 (-20x)
- No of schools went from 1.3 million to 12 million (10x)
- No of engineering colleges in India went from 36 to a staggering 3,300 (90x)
- No of hospital beds in India went from 0.1 million in 1947 (0.3 beds per 1000) to 1.5 million, still just 1.3 beds per 1000 people.
- Length of surfaced roads in India went from 157,000 km to 2.2 million km (14x)
- No or registered motor vehicles (including 2 wheelers) went from 300,000 to 150 million (500x)
- No of films released went from 177 to 2000 (11x)
- Indian military strength went from 0.3 million to 1.3 million.
- Roughly every 5 years or so, India holds the largest election ever conducted in the history of humankind.
- India has won a dismal total of 26 medals in the summer Olympics (combined), compared to more than 2400 by the United States.
These are Googled from various sources that seemed credible to me (Wikipedia, World Bank, data.gov.in, WSJ, FirstPost)