HTTP, HTTPS protocols. HTTP methods. API
HTTP protocol (How works):
Protocol — (when people communicating — they use same set of grammar, same language). When 2 applications are communicating they use same set of rules — Protocol. Browser can speak HTTP, FTP (for transferring files), Websocket protocol .
HTTP transaction — Request/Response transaction
- When user enters URL and presses enter — Thats create HTTP GET request
- Fills in a data entry form and clicks “Submit” button — creates GET or POST request (depends how form is constructed)
Web client not only browser — any application who can speak with server (cURL, Telnet)
- GET — give me some data
2. HEAD — return metadata (headline, subject line). Returns header information, without response body
3. POST — add to service side DB
4. PUT/PATCH — update this data
You were required to submit information like your password, credit card number
HTTPS = HTTP + SSL (secure socket layer)
Cryptograpy = Plain text (Something about Mary) -> Cipher text (hh4Sh!jH…)
API — something that allows one piece of software to talk to another
API allows one piece of software talk to another.
Representational state transfer (ReST API) — Google, Twitter, Instagram etc
Call — from Client to a Server and get data back over HTTP protocol
POSTMAN HTTP Client
Authentication — twitter (oauth or oauth2)
REST API concepts and examples
What is HTTPS?