How to play Amazon videos on VidAngel through your desktop browser (iPhone)
VidAngel is a fantastic service for making entertainment family-friendly. The service works by censoring words and removing scenes based on an extensive set of custom filters. I can set up a default filter that will apply to any movie and TV show, or go show- and episode-specific. By way of example, I was able to watch a PG-13 rated version of the entire Game of Thrones series via an HBO GO subscription in Amazon Prime Video (No longer available because TimeWarner doesn’t want families to have full control over how the content is shown and heard.)
Unfortunately, a recent change to Amazon removed VidAngel’s ability to play videos from their service through desktop browsers. At present, VidAngel recommends using their mobile app. They offered an alternative laptop solution that involves loading the iPhone app, verifying the movie or show purchase, and tap the Play Now after confirmation. Hit pause after the video starts, go back to my laptop browser, refresh the VidAngel video page with the movie or TV show, and it should play. However, what if I want to watch the film or TV show on my desktop browser? I figured out how to do this and I’ll show you how to play Amazon videos on VidAngel through your desktop browser.
- VisiHow’s guide explains step-by-step how to set up a screen mirror between IOS and Windows using one of these apps: LonelyScreen, Mirroring360, and Reflector 3. I chose the Reflector 3 option. You’ll want to follow the steps for whichever app you decide to use.
- Go to a VidAngel video page with filters (for this article, I rented 1917). I recommend doing this in incognito/private viewing mode for optimal playback. Optional: If you have NetNanny installed, add vidangel.com to the Always Allow list. (See Figure A.)
- After completing step 1, open the VidAngel app on your iPhone.
- Purchase or rent the video from Amazon and then authorize the purchase through the VidAngel IOS app.
- If you followed step 1, there should still be a Screen Mirror between your iPhone and Windows. However, if not, swipe up, and reconnect the Screen Mirror. The Screen Mirror uses the VidAngel iPhone app to bridge the purchase authorization to your desktop machine. After this, you can disconnect you iPhone.
- If everything is correctly set up, you should be able to play movies and TV shows from Amazon through VidAngel’s filters in your desktop browser. Remember, when you finish, set Auto-Lock back to its previous setting.