The descriptors of npm packages are kept in files called “package.json”. Among other things, they contain the list of the keywords that “help people discover a package as it’s listed in npm search”, for example:
So, let’s find out the trending keywords, shall we? The previous story explained how to select the contents of package.json files from the BigQuery Github data, the results were saved to “githubdataqueries:NpmStat.package_json_content” data table.
Can you guess trending keywords?
Random thoughts on these results:
- “cli” that stands for “command line interface” is in the 2nd place, closely-related “terminal” and “console” are in 9th and 11th respectively. A possible explanation is:
- CLI packages only make sense for node.js applications
- the initial node.js release supported only Linux
- CLI is at the heart of Linux & Unix systems
3. “http” and “browser” are in top 10. That’s simple : it’s all about web nowadays!