Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Some Important Facts
Oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMF) is done to treat the problems or diseases affecting the mouth, jaws, facial structure, neck and its associated parts.
These are some amazing facts about oral & maxillofacial surgery that you should know:
• While oral and maxillofacial surgery may sound complex, it is simply any cosmetic or surgical procedure performed to restore or repair the mouth, jaw, face, and neck.
• It is a unique field that acts as the bridge between dentistry and medicine requiring training in dentistry, general medicine and surgery. Maxillofacial specialists are skilled surgeons who can perform facial reconstructive and restoring surgeries to enhance function and aesthetics.
• Oral and maxillofacial surgery has extensive applications such as treating facial pain, head and neck cancers, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, facial disproportion, cysts and tumors of the jaws, salivary gland diseases, as well as many other problems that affects the oral mucosa such as mouth infections and mouth ulcers.
• OMF surgery is useful in treating tooth and bone loss. Oral surgeons place dental implants (both root and crown structures) to completely replace the tooth. If you have an insufficient bone structure, you may also require a bone graft before the placement of implant to provide support to the implant.
• The largest third molar also called as wisdom tooth often gets impacted in the gum tissue or bone due to failure in eruption. This condition requires surgical intervention to decrease the risk of infection and pain. Oral surgeons take the help of OMF surgery to remove this impacted tooth.
• A facial reconstructive surgery is often needed to fix the injuries that occur due to injuries and trauma. The most common damage is a dislocated or fractured jaw, which requires quick dealings. In such cases, maxillofacial specialists recommend OMF surgery. It can re-set the fractured or dislocated jaw. Your oral surgeon can also treat oral and facial lacerations resulting due to trauma.
• Sleep apnea usually occurs due to excessive soft tissues in the vicinity of the airway opening or poorly positioned jaw. This problem repeatedly causes a trouble in sleeping as you stop breathing during your sleep. But, as OMF surgery can correct the position of the jaw, you can sleep peacefully after it.
• OMF surgery can treat the structural abnormality of the jaw such as temporomandibular (TMJ) disorder.
• In some cases, the upper and lower jaws do not grow at the same rate, which results in the differences between the look and function of both the jaws. These inborn disorders of the upper and lower jaw can be treated with Orthognathic surgery to improve the alignment of the jaw.
• OMF surgery can treat many problems related to oral mucosa such as mouth infections and ulcers. It can also treat the cysts and tumors in the facial and maxillary region.
Oral and Maxillofacial surgery requires great skill and intelligence on the part of the surgeons. If you are looking for Maxillofacial Specialist in San Diego area, visit Irresistible Smiles. OMF’s applications are not merely limited to aesthetic or dental; it relieves pain and considerably improves patient’s quality of life.