West Ham complete loan signing of Jonathan Calleri after Argentina are knocked out of the Rio Olympics
West Ham have finally completed the loan signing of Jonathan Calleri after Argentina were knocked out of the Olympic football tournament.
The Deportivo Maldonado striker, 22, will arrive in London next week to begin a season-long spell at the Olympic Stadium, subject to international clearance.
West Ham agreed terms with Calleri’s agent and his club last week before confirming the deal on Thursday.


The Argentine forward’s arrival is a significant development in West Ham’s summer-long efforts to add to their firepower ahead of their first season at their new ground.
The Hammers have seen their advances for a number of top strikers spurned before pulling off the deal for hot prospect Calleri.
‘We have agreed to sign Calleri,’ manager Slaven Bilic said at his press conference on Thursday.
‘Unfortunately for him, but good for us, Argentina were knocked out of the Olympics this week, so he should be here with us pretty soon, depending on the work permit.
‘We did the deal a little while ago, and he is a top striker. You need a squad, of course, but it is all about the balance. I think we have a good balance’
Calleri told ESPN last week: ‘The transfer to West Ham is already completed. I hope I can adapt as soon as possible to the Premier League.’
He arrives with significant pedigree from his short spell in South America, having finished as top goalscorer in this year’s Copa Libertadores.
Barcelona were among the clubs to show interest in the striker this summer.