SEEKING TO BE A MAN OF GOD
I decided to write this article for all those men and women if need be who want to grow more in Christ and put aside sin and burdens and focus on Christ and Him crucified.
My text today is Acts 11:21–24 (KJV)
21And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord. 22Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch. 23Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord. 24For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
- Let’s be honest, the Christian life is tough. There is temptation, persecution, and trials and Satan is constantly warring with us.
“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” (Ephesians 6:12 KJV)
But there is a way for us born again beliveres to fight against Satan and his plans against us to destroy us in the faith and the challenges that come our way…… Prayer.
Prayer is the biggest weapon we have as believers in Christ. We can tell Jesus our problems and ask Him for any physical or spiritual needs and He hears us and will answer us and give us grace. So what must we pray for as christians or men in particular? Well let’s look at the text I put down at the beginning of the blog from Acts 11:21–24.
- In Acts 11:21–24 context we see the gospel was going well in Antioch and people were being saved from hearing the preaching of Stephen who was a great man of God. So the church in Jersualem decided to send Barnabas to Antioch, and when he got there he encouraged them in the spirit so they may hold fast to Christ. Now verse 24 is what I really want to look at. I find that it really describes a lot on the character of not just Barnabas, but many of the disciples were like this as well:
“For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith:”
- So what kind of men do we need to be or those in Christ mainly, what must we pursue in prayer to help with our walk in Christ?
- Pray to be a MAN OF FAITH:
What is faith you might ask? The greek word for faith is ‘Pistis’ which means to have trust and confidence.
So seek to have your faith and confidence and trust completely in Christ. Seek to increase your faith and trust in Christ alone knowing all things in your walk with Him is in His hands. Making sure your anchor is securely fast in Christ and so when trials and temptations come and Satan attacks you, you will not be moved.
2. Pray to be Full of the Holy Spirit:
The Holy Spirit is a helper to us, He helps us with the words we need to say to unbelievers or comfort believers, He helps bring knowledge of God’s word to our minds in times of trials. He convicts us of sin if we did something offensive to someone or God mainly. Not only that but He helps us to be more Christ like and help us to be light and salt in this dark world. So when you pray to be full of the Spirit, He will help you with your sinful struggles and help you to not be swayed in times of trial.
20But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. (Jude 1:20–21 KJV)
Romans 14:17 “For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.”
So pray more for the Holy Spirit to work in you and pray the the Lord may increase your faith in His beloved Son. Then let the Lord do the work and let His Spirit move in you and grow you into a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith.