Essentials For Choosing A Mobile App Development Platform
Due to the availability of different operating systems in the market, choosing a suitable platform to develop apps that would suit the requirements of the users might be a challenging task. Developers need to exercise caution when selecting the most appropriate app development platform based on the type and degree of functionality they provide. Here are six things that a mobile app development platform should have in order to perform at an optimum level.
- Software Development Kits with versatile tools: With the aim of producing simple and user-friendly applications, developers should select systems with a Software Development Kit constituting of a wide range of development tools. Beside high level languages and easy to use templates that aid developers to build applications with little programming knowledge, tools like libraries, debuggers and device emulators support the programmer’s access to the existing Application Programming Interfaces to produce apps that would be easy to operate. Kits with code-free designs too enables developers in coding of apps without prior training in the language.
- Support for Object Oriented Programming Concepts: Developers should choose systems that support languages like C++ and Java that facilitate to develop apps with their underlying components stored as ‘objects’. This factor plays an important role in enhancing the functions of the apps, remove unwanted redundancies and improve overall development time to a great extent.
- In-built robust Middleware layers: Developer also needs to ensure that the development platform contains libraries related to data storage, internet browsing and multimedia. Device specific runtime functions and device specific code optimization too should be included. These functions enable smooth execution of apps irrespective of the difference between various computing devices based on the same operating system.
- Compatibility: As the mobile market becomes more fragmented, the need for coming up with cross platform compatible apps has shifted from ‘nice-to-have’ to ‘need-to-have’. When choosing a mobile platform, developers need to consider what amount or scale of efforts would be needed to make the same app available on a different app marketplace. It is here that cross platform apps highlights its benefits in terms of reduction in redundancy of efforts and highest RoI in the app development process.
- Cloud scalability: If an app becomes popular, there are chances of overload on the app due to multiple users accessing the app at the same time. As such, the performance of the app might take a hit if it is not designed to bear the sudden spike. Mobile platforms that offer cloud scalability have a better chance to cope with future growth.
- Support for easy deployment of apps: Be it the lenient app release guidelines of Android or the strict and vigorous protocols followed by Apple for release of apps into its proprietary iTunes app store, the app development platform needs to respect these guidelines so that they stand a very good chance of release and subsequent success on the app market place
Developers thus must choose a suitable platform so that they achieve perfect synchronization between the app and the operating system.
Originally published at: MobDevApp