Profiling Django Templates
I have recently been having trouble getting image resizing to perform well in Django. That is for another post, but the basic scoop is that I have a view that displays 40+ django imagefields and accesses their dimensions. This was taking around 6 seconds to render. I tried tracing it, and I could see it was hitting the storage backend a lot, hitting
S3Boto because I use Amazon S3 for my storage. However I couldn’t tell what exactly was hitting the storage.
My first step was creating a test that reproduced my issue. At its most basic, it creates x amount of objects, attaches photos to each, and then times requesting that page. That way I can run it and see exactly how long it takes, and if I fix my problem, can run it again to make sure. I wrote it as a test so that database wiping would be taken care of by the test runner.
Next I used
cProfile to see in which functions the time was being spent.
However, even when I saw which functions took up all the time, I wasn’t sure exactly where in the template those functions were being called.
Was it from
My next step was to generate all the url’s and dimensions in the view, instead of in the template. This didn’t have to actually function for my real template, but at least when I was testing, it would do all the heavy lifting in the view. I also created little function to, say, get the width from a photo. That way, when I saw the profile, I could see what function all the time was spent in.
My key take from this was to create little functions to put suspect code in and run it through profile to see if those functions do indeed use that much time.