Gratifying Chaos

It finally happened.

After 15 months of Two7, we finally said, “Why are we doing this? It’s not any fun.. It’s just hard.”

It’s the simple fact. No matter how much preparing and planning you do before you launch a company, you are never prepared for everything that comes into play after it’s up. (No matter how many times you google, “How to run a business 101”)

In our heads, I’m pretty sure we thought: Launch the Kickstarter, get funded, order watches and boxes, ship them, and then fill orders from the Two7 website as they come. That sounded easy. Not a stress in the world. Go us! Right?

Reality struck us real hard about two weeks ago. Did you know watches can malfunction? That all 500 watches aren’t going to be perfect? Did you know that you tend to find this out AFTER you’ve sent some out to customers already? Then you sit around stressed because the 1% of watches that are estimated to malfunction could already be in customers hands? (Side note: If this is you, CONTACT US.)

We didn’t know that. We expected our watches to be perfect. Luckily, we’ve caught the rest of the possible malfunctioning watches and we haven’t shipped out of the U.S. yet. Go us, again! (The shipping overseas issue is a different story, for a different day, for a different budget)

Last post, I mentioned all the help we were going to get from Alex’s family on packing watches. Well life happens and people get busy, and it was just us! We spent Friday night date night in our office folding boxes, inserting foam, taking out part of the foam, replacing it with another, opening watches, packing the watch, adding more foam, inserting the Two7 card, sealing up the box, throwing a label on it, and sticking it in a pile. Phew, I’m tired again just reading that.

Did I mention I had HGTV Fixer Upper on the iPad the whole time? When this watch thing works out, I’m building an open-layout, ship-lapped, modern house!

The date night craziness all became worth it the next day. We personally handed out watches to people in the Coeur d’Alene and Post Falls area. Seeing family and friends’ faces as they opened the watch made us feel a sense of pride and accomplishment. A week later, we did the same thing in Kettle Falls. I couldn’t be more thankful for the support Alex and I have received from my hometown.

DANG, WE MADE A COOL PRODUCT, Y’ALL.

So yes, last night we questioned every aspect of why we are doing this, but when it comes down to it, I have gained an exponential amount of knowledge I otherwise never would have. It has proven to impact my 9–5 career at Hanna Advertising and made me more confident in my business knowledge. I have challenged myself, my relationship with Alex, and my sanity every night. We leave our day jobs at 5 to go home and work at our dream job.

So I’ll end with this: Start a company. Stay up late every night dreaming about it and then get up every day and work on it. When it becomes a reality, continue to stay up late every night fixing issues and dreaming about changes. Talk to people who have done it before you. When you and the company are struggling to stay afloat, keep treading water until you are able to swim through it.

Surround yourself with people who believe in this dream as much as you do.

It’s said that 50% of businesses fail after the first year, but yet, we made it. It’s also said that 95% of businesses fail within the first five years, so how are you going to fight to be the other 5 percent?

When we figure that part out, we’ll let you know.


I’ve written 3 blogs now, and I feel more supported than ever. I wanted to take a timeout to thank everyone who has shared or commented on Facebook, followed my Medium, or told me in person how fun these are to read. I never knew I had a voice to tell stories about my life, but I am loving every minute of this. Maybe one day, you’ll get a normal story that’s not about the Gratifying Chaos that is my life. But for now, enjoy it from a distance with a cold beer in your hand.