I really dislike side projects and one day will write a long blog post about why.
But I have what I’m calling a compulsive creator disorder where if I think of an idea, then I want to make it immediately, and if I don’t, then I get very antsy. And then I feel bad that I don’t finish most of them.
This is a compilation of side projects I worked on in 2019, some finished but most not.
- I started reading a dictionary of Design Since 1900 and started collecting examples I liked into an are.na board [in progress]
- I started illustrating some of my favorite spots in NYC to learn Procreate. [unfinished]
- I illustrated some food jokes that I wanted to ultimately compile into a zine [in-progress indefinitely]
- illustrated minimalist versions of famous Japanese cats [finished]
- I had an idea to do a collection of illustrations titled Shy Guy doing Shy Guy Things [unfinished]
- css-animation-sandbox app for playing around with keyframe-based animations [finished]
- I started reading How to Read Modern Buildings and building an accompanying street-view-based web app [in-progress]
- collaborated with Melissa McEwen on a Glitch project viewer called GlitchDex [unfinished]
- playing around with scroll-based animations using laxxx.js to create a seasonal-haiku app [finished]
- Animation a day project — tried to create SVG-based animations on a regular basis [started but didn’t follow through on]
- unfinished sprite animator app that uses css animation steps to cycle through a sprite sheet [abandoned]
- playing around with easily remixable starter apps that use front-end-only APIs [finished]
- makecode pixel art maker for generation pixel art you can add to makecode arcade [finished]
- started working on getting a tamogachi on the m5stack [in progress]
- played around with alternative avatar designs for Tasty Snacking [abandoned]
- Attempt at Inktober
- made custom illustrations for Tasty Snacking [finished]
- played around with sqlite to save color palettes. never finished app but used the code to build the updated hello-sqlite starter app on Glitch.
- Based on the color-pal app above, wanted to save color palettes I liked. I started creating an are.na board for it, but lost interest.
- connecting to the m5stack with a simple web app [blog post] [finished]
- consolidated US state-specific jingles into an app [finished]
- made a map of my favorite places to get snacks in NYC [finished]
- worked with my friends at Microblocks to get pixel art onto the M5Stack
- created a Google Sheets-powered version of my year-end-list app called year-end-list-sheets [finished]
- made a visualization of my favorite music from 2019 [finished]
- ported over an old interactive greeting card I made [finished]