Like any other idiot my age, I started watching Hot Ones (e.g. 1, 2, 3) in the last few years. And then like any other consumerist pig susceptible to media influence, I ended up ordering the “Last Dab” hot sauce. Who knows exactly why. But probably some toxic mix of consumerist boredom and desire assert my dominance and masculinity relative to celebrities who will never know me or care about me.
From there, eventually began a journey into the world of spice — hot sauce, spicy peppers, and other fire-y things. It’s been fun. And I just wanted to record it all.
Here’s a list of some of the hot sauce and spicy peppers and other spice-related excursions I’ve gone on. In time, I will add detail (and video + pictures, plus some basic thoughts) to each of these. For now, I just want to list things out, to get the ball rolling.
- Habanero: Here’s a video of me eating a Habanero
- Datil: Here’s a video of me eating a Datil pepper.
- Ghost Pepper
- Thai Chili
- Hungarian Pepper/Wax Pepper
- Hot Ones: Last Dab (started with this)
- Spooky Pumpkin (Mojo’s Sauce); Ithaca
- Chilula Sweet Haberno: This isn’t that that spicy, but it’s pretty tasty. Unlike all the other sauces, this comes from a major international brand, it’s not some boutique little local thing. But honestly, they know what they’re doing. Also, and this is like a very trivial detail, but the actual nozzle or I’m not sure what to call it on their bottle is the best among all the hot sauces I have. It’s narrowly tapered and allows you to control how much sauce flows out. Many others have way too big of a lid (e.g. that Wegman’s Ghost Sauce that tastes like straight ass). And a few that have that little plastic stopper (e.g. the Mojo’s bottles), don’t allow you to get enough out at once, when you want.
- Maple Ghost (Syrachacuse)
Other Spicy Things
- Capsaicin Sauce at Noodle House