Hubert de Givenchy
“KEEP IT SIMPLE. ELIMINATE EVERYTHING THAT INTERFERES WITH THE LINE”
•Born: Feb 21, 1927 in Beauvais, France.
•Admirer of Balenciaga.
•Studied at Beaux-Arts School in Paris.
•Tried to work with Balenciaga but was turned down.
•Later was hired by Lucien LeLong (1946) where he met LeLong’s assistants, Christian Dior and Pierre Balmain.
•He founded The House of Givenchy, near the Parc Monceau in Paris in 1952.
•Givenchy’s first collection was produced using plain, white, men’s shirting material.
•Closely associated women with him in the 50’s and 60’s were Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Kennedy.
- LVMH took over his brand in 1988.
- He retired in 1995.
•On march 15, 2001 he replaced McQueen as chief designer at Givenchy.
•He didn’t enjoy it and found the last 12 months particularly tough, but now thinks he may have acted hastily.
• He stayed in for four years.
- He left the fashion house in 2004.
1.Monsieur de Givenchy founded Les Parfums Givenchy in 1957
2.Hubert de Givenchy created the “4G” logo for the brand.
3. L’Interdit: the very first time that a movie star Audrey Hepburn had appeared in a perfume advertisement.
4. The newer Live Irrésistible Collection manages to live up to its name: flirty, sparkling, exciting. mood: Happy and irresistible and the motto was : You only live once.
5.The original Dahlia Noir proved silkily seductive, dreamy and feminine, conveying a velvety, mysterious aura.
6.The collection includes Néroli Originel — the fragrance inspired by a dress worn by Audrey Hepburn, and Cuir Blanc,
•He was hired after his successful autumn/winter collection in Milan on September 2004.
•He joined in February 2005.
•He resurrected Givenchy with his dark, sensual and subversive collections.
•Tisci breathed much-needed life into the brand’s womenswear, menswear and accessories.
•His haute couture consisted of high embellishments.
•His distinctive graphic sweatshirts, sneakers and sportswear-inspired garments were quite famous.
•In 2010, he cast the Brazilian transgender model Lea T to walk in his ready-to-wear show.
- After 12 years of glory he left on 2 February, 2017.
1. First designer to introduce “pret-a-porter” (ready-to-wear) clothes.
2. They incorporate fragrance, skincare, and jewelry as well as fashion.
3. He introduced his “fun” clothes — leopard-print pantsuits and prints inspired by the modern artists Miro, Braque, and Rothko.
4. He raised hemlines and introduced the “bag” dress — the streamlined, sheath dress that has come to symbolize fashion in the 60s
5. Animal prints, such as Rottweilers and panthers, throughout tisci’s collections.
6. Tisci dresses were quite famous at the red carpets. ( notably the one worn by beyonce which was made of latex)
7. Tisci cast his transgender Brazilian-born personal assistant and fit model, LEA T (Leandra Medeiros Cerezo).
8. Revolutionary thinking: sticker-like mustaches (fall 2006 couture) and bleached eyebrows (spring 2007 couture). For fall 2015, he played with elaborate facial jewelry and baby hairs, and the following season, he sent models down the runway.