Mar 26 · 3 min read

With the unprecedented series of events, comes a more challenging way to plan ROOTCON 14. Here are the updates from ROOTCON HQ.

Taal Vista Hotel the home of ROOTCON for the last 5 years, on the afternoon of January 12, 2020, Taal volcano erupted, 43 years after its previous eruption in 1977. The phreatic eruption from its main crater that spewed ashes across Calabarzon, Metro Manila, and some parts of Central Luzon and Ilocos Region, resulting in the suspension of classes, work schedules, and flights in the area.

By January 26, 2020, PHIVOLCS observed an inconsistent, but decreasing volcanic activity in Taal, prompting the agency to downgrade its warning to Alert Level 3. It was until February 14, 2020, when PHIVOLCS finally decided to downgrade the volcano’s warning to Alert Level 2, due to consistent decreased volcanic activity.

At the time of writing, Taal Volcano was downgraded from Alert Level 2 to Alert Level 1 on Thursday, March 19, Alert Level 1 interprets Hydrothermal, magmatic, or tectonic disturbances.

With the Alert Level being downgraded from 2 to 1 the organizers have opted to consider bringing ROOTCON back to Taal Vista Hotel for ROOTCON 14 this coming October 7–9, 2020. Taal Vista and ROOTCON Organizers will be provisioning back-up plans should this disturbance be in our way for ROOTCON 14.

The outbreak was first identified in Wuhan, Hubei, China, in December 2019. Initial contact investigation with DOH happened January 21, 2020, where it disclosed that it is currently investigating a case who traveled from Wuhan, China and was admitted to Cebu City for manifesting fever, throat irritation, and cough before entering the Philippines.

The government began on Sunday, March 15, its lockdown of Metro Manila, the country’s most populous and developed region. The lockdown was intended initially up until April 15, 2020, with the cases of Covid19 spiking up we are expecting this to stretch up until May 2020.

The outbreak trajectory — the virus is known to spread and flatten its curve over time, here’s a quick analysis from other Asian countries. With our initial spike of Covid19 dated March 15, we are expected to flatten our curve within the months of May and June.

Here’s a quick timeline we wanted to share with our con-goers.

Blackcard Registration is on-going.

— Call For Papers, Call For Sponsors and Invitation Request.

On-going — Call For Papers, Call For Sponsors and Invitation Request

Closing — Call For Papers
Opening — Earlybird Registration.

— Earlybird Registration
Announcement — Accepted Talks

— Regular Rate Registration

— Regular rates

Con Proper

ROOTCON Organizers are still in full throttle planning for RC14 to put together the best conference that we can enjoy with our attendees. We are closely monitoring local and international updates regarding Covid19 and assess the situation in between our timelines which will be aligned to the battles that our nation is facing against Covid19, we provide you with our assurance that ROOTCON continues to secure the safety of our crew and attendees, and decisions to proceed with the projected conference date will be based on the advice of our government and health experts.

In the meantime, enjoy hacking at your respective homes.

Stay safe hacker fam.


Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch
Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore
Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store