How To Make An Upworthy Headline
A successful story takes a lot of work. The infamous Upworthy sight knows this. Which is why they recommend writing twenty five headlines for each story and then picking the best one to publish. Obviously the theory has helped them gain a large amount of success ,but would it work for an average Joe? I decided to test the theory myself.
And yes, I am aware many of these headlines do sound alike, however as you could imagine, there are only so many ways to say one thing. I’m not sure exactly what that number is ,but I’m sure 25 surpasses it. After much thought and around a half hour or so later. Lo and behold ,by the end of the class session, this is what I ended up with.
- How to Survive This Election
- Election 2016: A Declassified Survival Guide
- Election 2016: A Stress Management Guide In Steps 1 Through 5
- Surviving Election 2016: A Guide for Dummies
- Elections: A Declassified Survival Guide
- How To Manage Stress During Election 2016
- How To Survive This Election Without Drinking Yourself To Death or Having To Move To Canada
- How To Survive The 2016 Election Without Drinking Yourself To Death, Moving To Canada Or Both
- How To Manage Stress During This Election
- How To Keep Your Sanity During Election 2016
- Election 2016, In The Words Of Gloria Gain; “I Will Survive.”
- How To Keep Your Sanity During Elections
- Keeping Your Sanity During Election 2016: A Declassified Survival Guide
- How To Keep Your Sanity During This Election: A Declassified Survival Guide
- How To Manage Stress During This Election : A Declassified Survival Guide
- How To Make it Through This Election Without Pulling Your Hair Out
- How To Make It Through Election 2016 Without Pulling Your Hair Out
- How To Make it Through Elections Without Pulling Your Hair Out
- How to Make It Through Election 2016 With Your Liver, Hair And Sanity
- Election 2016: How To Make It Though With Your Liver, Hair and Sanity
- Elections: How To Survive
- Election 2016: How To Survive In Steps 1 Through 5
- Elections: How To Survive In Steps 1 Through 5
- This Election: How To Survive In Steps 1 Through 5
- Election 2016 A Declassified Survival Guide In Steps 1 Through 5
In case you couldn’t tell, my article was about managing the stress this election has brought. Who would have thought? My next step was to pick the best three and Tweet them, with a link to the article itself of course. I ended up choosing 8, 11 and 25 on my list. Because who doesn’t love a good rhyme, or Gloria Gain reference?
As you can tell, my results were pretty…..anticlimactic. The only real difference in the results I got were that my total engagements were higher on my first tweet (pictured at the top.) Total engagements are the number of times a user interacts with a tweet, by doing things such as clicking, liking , re-tweeting, etc. Whereas my impressions (the number of times a user views a tweet, without clicking on it) went up after the first tweet.
I made my account prior to taking communication 260 ,but I never touched it. Thus, I am fairly new to Twitter. With that being said I am still learning the ropes, but I am guessing the fact that my mostly stagnant results were due to the following.
- A lack of followers and following from not being a long term Twitter…or Tweeter, if you wanna use the verb for it.
- All of these posts for this experiment were tweeted around the same exact time. Maybe they would have brought more traffic had it been done at different times of day.
- My guess is less people engaged with tweet B and C than A,because A was the first tweet, so they had already seen it.
Overall this was a learning experiment. And just cause there is more than one way to phrase something, that doesn’t necessarily mean it is wrong.