Over the past few years, I’ve gotten a chance to speak with people looking to make career moves into tech or just learn about the strange world that is Silicon Valley. One of the questions that always pops up first:
“How do I find out about all the companies and people doing cool things?”
My advice: it’s impossible. Tech moves so fast that you’ll always miss something. That being said, one of the best ways to try to stay on top of everything is to just be up on the news. So, I’ve decided to pull together a list with a few of my go to places to learn about the latest in tech. I hope these are as helpful for you as they have been for me.
The best part? They’re all free.
📰 Daily Newsletters 📰
- Axios — Since launching in 2017, Axios daily newsletters have quickly become one of my go-to’s. My favorites for tech / finance news are Pro Rata by Dan Primack and Login by Ina Fried. You can sign up for as many of these newsletters as you like here.
- The Hustle — A daily news email that’s funnier, punnier, less political, more relevant, and 200% guaranteed to make you sound more interesting at dinner parties, you HAVE to get on board with The Hustle. Sign up here!
- Morning Brew — It’s an awesome daily newsletter that delivers the top business news in a way that’s informative and witty. Give it a try and subscribe here.
- Product Hunt Daily — If you’re looking to find out about the best products as they launch, sign up for Product Hunt Daily.
My advice: don’t think 💭just subscribe 📖 choose what works later
💻Websites I check during the day💻
- Techcrunch — great source for tech news and analysis
- Recode — great source for tech news and analysis
- The Wall Street Journal — oops, I lied about everything on this list being free. But the WSJ is always running deals and right now you can get 3 months for $1.
📝Weekly(ish) Newsletters & Blogs 📝
- Tech & Startups — Essays with a big focus on growth, product & scaling By: Andrew Chen, Andressen Horowitz
- Drinking from the Firehose — thoughts on tech and the future of retail By: Alex Taussig, Lightspeed Venture Partners
- Benedict’s Newsletter — a weekly news roundup with a focus on Mobile By: Benedict Evans, Andreessen Horowitz
- Hunter Walk — Essays on startups, venture & the Silicon Valley ecosystem By: Hunter Walk, Homebrew Capital
Thank you to all of the amazing writers, companies and firms that make all of the great content above possible. I recognize this is a very lite summarized list in the grand scheme of everything going on in tech, so if you have suggestions of other things you think should be included, please ping me on twitter @sgorlick.