A detailed overview of the Digital Marketing fundamentals for newbies.
You are a fresher in Digital Marketing, aren’t you?
Do you feel overwhelmed by the millions of resources available on Internet?
Do you feel lost?
Do you feel the marketing concepts are too complex to understand?
Great! You are not alone.
Well, you have more questions. Don’t you?
The most basic question is “What is Digital marketing?”
The most popular one is “Can I become a digital marketer?”
There are more.
“What are the basic concepts of Marketing?”
“Do I need to know marketing to be a digital marketer?”
“What are the fundamentals of Digital Marketing?”
“Which course should I enroll in?”
“Which digital mentor should I follow?”
If your answers were yes to all or any of the above questions, you have landed on the right page.
What if I tell you I too was like you and developed few mental blocks about Digital Marketing?
I can hear you asking me “How did you overcome the hindrances?”
I would tell you to start with the basics. Some skip the fundamentals and try to master the techniques of Digital Marketing.
Are they doing it right?
Of course not. They don’t see results. They decide Digital Marketing is not their cup of tea and they quit.
Success is in the basics. You survive when you get your basics and fundamentals right.
Read, read and read. Read books and articles on Digital Marketing. Just like you are reading this now, I read “How to become a self-made digital marketing expert” by Digital Deepak on his blog. That’s how the journey began for me.
Did you ask “Who is Digital Deepak?”
Please visit his blog digitaldeeepak.com, subscribe to his newsletters, attend his webinars and you will know I am not lying or exaggerating when I say he is the best digital marketer and digital mentor in the business.
This article is my understanding of Marketing and Digital Marketing after attending an eye opening session by Digital Deepak, as a part of his Internship program.
I want to help you understand the basic concepts of Marketing and Digital Marketing. I want to give you good perspectives on the same just like Deepak did.
What is marketing?
Marketing is the core and the most important investment in any business. The general rule of marketing is to convey right message to the right audience at the right time.
Sometimes it is art and sometimes it is science. Sometimes it is the combination of both.
Marketing is the process of promoting and selling your products or services. It exists in all stages of a business.
You carry out marketing activity in the following stages;
1. Before you create the products or services. It begins with understanding the market, understanding the customers and their needs.Then building a product that fits the customers’ needs.
2. While you are selling the products or services. It’s about building a relationship with your customers and finding interesting ways to engage with your customers. It is the game of building trust with lot of people at the same time. It is not easy to gain someone’s trust. It is the marketer’s goal to build trust with the target audiences. By gaining trust, target audiences convert into customers.
3. After you sell the products or services. You keep your existing customers happy by constantly engaging with them, so that they can remain a customer for life.
The purpose of marketing is to build a strong brand and secure a position in your customers’ minds. This becomes very easy if you have a great product. Great products or services sell itself and turn your customers into your brand ambassadors. Your customers spread the awareness of your products or services through word-of-mouth.
Also many confuse the concepts of advertising, copywriting and sales with marketing. They are the components of marketing.
Advertising is a marketing tactic and a means of communication with your target customers about your product or services.
Copywriting is the art and science of writing copy (text for your advertisements) that convinces your prospects to buy your product or services.
Sales is the operations and activities involved in promoting and sales of your product or services. Marketing and Sales are closely linked. Marketing begins even before the product creation and plays major role at the beginning of a potential conversion by spreading awareness of the product whereas Sales role is to finalize the sale by communicating directly with prospects and addressing their concerns.
Marketing encloses advertising, copywriting and sales.
Are you having a light bulb moment here? There is more.
The more you learn and understand the fundamentals and principles of marketing, the easier digital marketing becomes.
Digital Marketing is a fast changing field. However Marketing is not going to change. It has been around for long time and is going to stay for longer time than you can imagine.
Only a good marketer can become a good digital marketer.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing is an art of bringing in customers for a business through online and digital medium. It is one of the ways of marketing your products or services. It is more about marketing than about digital. Digital is just a medium. It is 80 % marketing and 20% digital.
Digital Marketing is an ocean. There are so many different modules.
Some of the major methods are:
1. Content marketing: It is the process of attracting your target audiences using your content online. The content includes blogs, videos and social media posts.
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO): It is the practice of improving your website traffic via organic results i.e. you get traffic through unpaid or free listings on search engine results page (SERP).
3. Search Engine Marketing (SEM): It is the practice of improving your website traffic through paid ads on search engines. To put it simple, you buy traffic through paid search listings.
4. Social Media Marketing (SMM): Here social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Sanpchat are used to promote your products or services.
5. Email Marketing: It is the process of sending emails about your products or services to your prospects. It is a form of direct marketing where the audiences gives consent to receive your messages.
6. Web analytics: It is the process of collecting and analyzing user behavior on your website. This helps in the improvement of your website.
7. Digital Display Marketing: It is the advertising of your products or services on websites, apps and social media platforms through banners, text, images, video and audio.
Now you can picture how digital marketing is different from traditional marketing.
Digital Marketing vs. Traditional Marketing
You should understand and accept Digital Marketing is not the only way of marketing.
It is one of the ways of marketing.
The main difference between the traditional marketing and digital marketing is the medium through which you try to reach your target customers.
Traditional Marketing is when you try to send message to your target audiences through television, newspaper, magazines, billboards, vehicle signs, telemarketing, direct mail etc.
If your product is generic traditional methods will help you reach local and wider audience. Television ads can reach millions at a low cost.197 million Indian homes own television. You can reach 65% of Indian Population using radio and newspapers can reach 465 million of Indian population.
You get the picture now.
Each has its own pros and cons. In traditional methods you cannot customize and personalize your communication. It’s difficult to track and measure the success rate of your strategy. Whereas it can help you reach wider audience across various geographical area.
The cons of traditional methods are the pros of digital methods.
The key to a great and successful campaign is to find the right balance between traditional and digital. Both play a significant role in a marketing strategy. An integrated approach will help you reach large population across many demographics.
How cool is that!
Now that we have covered the very basics, let’s focus more on Digital Marketing.
Let’s have an overview of the marketing funnel and framework that we keep hearing.
The CATT funnel (Content, Attention, Trust and Transaction)
CATT is a framework describing the journey of your customers with you, right from the stage of potential leads to converted sales. Defining a funnel is important for any kind of marketing strategy.
Now you know why it is imperative to establish a funnel.
Yes, to build your business. To analyse and improve your business.
Wealth = n ^ CATT
This is the framework. Let’s break it down with an example to understand better.
Imagine that you are a real estate developer who focuses on residential projects like apartments, villas etc. and you want to create your digital presence and improve your business digitally.
Let’s see how to proceed using the framework.
1. n is the niche. It is the market you want to target to sell your products or services.
As a real estate developer your niche is wealth and your target audience is home buyers. Your goal is to provide real estate solutions to people who want to buy a property.
2. C is the Content. Content is the king. It is very important to create a quality content that attracts prospects from your niche.
You create content describing your residential projects and publish it on your website, Facebook page, Instagram page and YouTube Channel, etc. Remember good content is the asset that attracts people to your business.
3. A is the attention. Next step is to drive attention to your content using paid ads, SEO, Social media and referrals.
You create awareness of your residential projects to potential home buyers. Here you gain audience who could become your customer.
4. T is the trust. Next you build trust with marketing automation and retargeting.
It basically means that you are putting the leads (name, email id, phone no etc.) through nurturing stage where you retain the attention by constantly reaching out to the audiences and then engage with them more and more to have their repeated attention. That’s when trust starts building up.
For your real estate business you send mails to the prospects about upcoming projects, ongoing projects and also projects matching their requirements. You can use personalized communication to potential home buyers to build trust. This is called deep marketing.
5. T is the transaction. Once you have developed enough trust you get them to sales and conversion level. This is the most important step where you convert your leads into customers with natural sales methods.
You now have potential home buyers who know about your projects and they are interested in buying from you. You can call them now, make an appointment to discuss the projects, arrange site visits and follow up until they become your customer.
This step is crucial to complete the entire funnel.
Mind blowing isn’t it? Let’s see more.
I assure you it gets interesting.
Integrated Digital Marketing Framework
Integrated Digital Marketing is the art of using all the available methods in such a way that they complement each other and bring out the best results. You combine all the methods to plan an effective marketing strategy for your products or services.
Let’s look at the framework
Instead of executing each method in the above picture separately to make sales, all the above could be combined. This approach will give you more sales than the number put together by adding all the sales achieved from each method.
How do you do it?
Follow the following steps:
1. Content is at the heart of the framework. Create a quality content (website, blog etc.)
2. Run Paid advertising campaigns to drive traffic to your content.
3. You’ll get leads (name, email ids, phone no etc.) from the people who visit your content.
4. Send them e-mails when you publish new content. This will drive more traffic to your content.
5. Your content gets listed in the search engines. You get more traffic when people visit your content via search engine page results. It is interlinked. Your content sends signals to search engine, which ranks your page and sends you traffic.
6. Share your content on social media. People from social media visit your content and they share it on social media if they find it valuable.
7. All the above steps will build trust with the prospects and convert them into sales.
It’s clear that this framework is all about executing each stages of CATT funnel.
Wow you got here and you are wondering what the fuss was all about right?
That’s the beauty of it.
Next we shall look into personal branding.
What is personal branding and why is it important?
Personal branding is about marketing yourself and making yourself known in your field.
Right personal brand constantly lands you work. That is how people reach out to you. There might be people better than you in your business but you are at advantage if you have built a better personal brand.
Let people know who you are, what you do and what you are good at. Convey your story clearly.
You know you have a great personal brand when people tell your story when you are not in the room.
E.g. for personal branding done right is Gary Vaynerchuk. An entrepreneur, popular internet personality, New York Times bestselling author and speaker .
“If you are good at something, never do it for free.” is Jonathan Nolan’s quote.
“If you are good at something, let the people know about it.” is personal branding quote.
Personal Brand is for you, for me and for everyone.
You can build one for yourself if you follow the road map below for personal branding:
1. Learn: Learn a new skill. Understand the concepts, remember the facts and practice the procedures. You learn by doing it.
2. Work: You implement what you practiced in real world. It gives you better understanding and authority.
3. Blog: You write about your experiences. More than just concepts you learnt, experiences you gained from implementing those concepts holds high value to your posts. It helps in building your personal brand.
4. Consult: Now that you have a brand and blog, you can start consulting people instead of working for them. People will pay you for your advice.
5. Mentor: Teach other people who want to become like you. When you teach others you learn more and deeper. You get more clarity.
6. Start up: Now that you have sound knowledge of the market and you have skills, you can start your product or service business.
This is the evolution of personal branding. It is called MassTrust Blueprint. Hands down one of a kind blueprint. You can see this is a never ending cycle. Even if you run a startup you can learn something new.
I firmly believe learning never stops. There is always something new to learn.
Like you and me learning these concepts now.
If you are here, I can presume you found this interesting.
I have penned down the snippets of knowledge I gained last week. It really boosted my curiosity and made me fall in love with the subject. I hope this article makes the same impact on you as well.
Anyone can become a digital marketer. Start with basics, keep learning, keep practicing and keep repeating the process.
To join Digital Deepak Internship Program, hit the link https://deepak.me/internapply
Want to dive in deep?
Stay connected and watch out for more articles on this space.
Thank you and congrats on reaching here.
Good luck with your hunt for knowledge.