Model Prototype: Shower Control Interface
For this design prompt, we were to design an interface using OXO design principles, and were given three options, a shower control interface, a hand mixer, or a stud finder. I chose to do the shower control interface, because I felt it was more relatable for my life, and something that I would be more likely to use.
For this design I needed to accommodate controls like valve, water temperature, and pressure. I also had the idea to include users, because I know that in my house, multiple people use the same shower, and like their showers in a certain way. I went through several design ideas, and kept simplifying until I was happy with a design.
For the controls, I wanted it to be easy to use when you are in a steamy shower, have soap on your hands, or don’t have corrective lenses in. For this reason I chose to make a very simple interface, with simple controls. I wanted to make controls that were easy to see and feel when in the shower.
For my prototype I made it out of a box, paper, styrofoam, and paper clips. I created a simple interface so that they could interact with it easily. Last week, I did not allow for enough change in my prototype and so this time, I wanted to make it more flexible.
When testing, I learned that my interface was not intuitive to use at first. I learned that I would need to create a way to indicate movement next time. I also want to encourage my user to give more critical feedback, and talk more during the user testing. I ended up not getting any verbal feedback, but they were able to complete all of the tasks, which was encouraging.
It was useful to have the different users for the showers, and demonstrating the changes that would really be happening. It was also good to have the different options for controls and levels for the shower, because it demonstrated flexibility and its real results to the user. I think that if this were a more fully functioning prototype, it might have gotten a better response from the user, because I wouldn’t have to pause them in the middle of their task in order to show the changes that were happening.
I would conclude that my testing was effective for getting opinions on the various options that were available. I think that more feedback from the user would be better, and I should work to encourage it in the future.