That’s 1440 minutes. 86,400 seconds. That’s almost 66 episodes of The Big Bang Theory. However, I think there’s only so much one could take of Sheldon in 24 hours. Then again…If you haven’t watched it, just do it. So, you get the drift, there’s a lot you can do in 24 hours. What did I do this weekend? I set up a new business.
As if I don’t have enough going on, I decided to do this…and why not. I couldn’t help myself and always get far too excited about a new idea. When it’s my idea I don’t really have any one to stop me so I just go with it. Especially if I’m getting encouragement from people who are interested in the concept and the products. It’s completely possible to do. And I will go into more detail about what the stages are in another blog piece for those of you who want to do it, want to know the points to cover and ultimately go ahead and guide you through how to set it up step by step.
So what’s first?
- The idea of course. The product. What are you going to sell? How are you going to make money? That’s what it is all about. I had an initial idea and product then after some thought, added a few more and will continue to grow the list, but not all at once.
- Buy the domain name. Make sure it’s available and get it pronto. Hosting too.
- Grab your social media names too while you’re at it.
- Set up an email address with your new domain name.
- Choose to either build a website and incorporate a shop or look at the various ecommerce sites that will work for you i.e. Shopify, WooCommerce, Big Commerce, Big Cartel or perhaps decide on Etsy.
- Design the logo.
- Photograph your products.
- Populate your website and social media channels.
- Start promoting your products and site.
Now, I’m not saying it’s all plain sailing and you do have a bit of a head start if you have an idea and are able to design and build a site or have an idea of how to sell online and where. Think about your own online shopping experiences. What do you like and dislike about certain websites? As a customer, what are you looking for and how do you like to shop? As easily and as simply as possible I bet.
So it can be done and there’s a lot more to it which I will go into more detail in another post but I wanted to share with you how the basics can be done and in such s short space of time. That’s the set up, now running a business, that’s a completely different matter.
Originally published at www.caddieand.co on October 26, 2015.