What Are Flexible Printed Circuit Boards and How to Choose PCB Prototype Film?
PCB, also known as Printed Circuit Boards can be of two different kinds. Depending on the substrate, it can be flexible printed circuit boards and rigid printed circuit boards. FPC makes use of the flexible laminate. The various properties and raw materials used for the laminate are crucial for the entire process of manufacturing. It determines the final performance of the circuit.
The FPC prototype is made up of wirings and flexible board and the pads that are conducing through the wirings. Here you can find that the copper wire is coated with resin substrate and connected with heat and pressure application. Multiple conductive layers may be used for preparing circuitry on both sides.
Application of Flexible Circuit Boards
Previously the printed circuit boards were very much rigid. But then, in this era of mobile and smartphone technology, the need for miniaturisation is felt to a great extent. There is growing the need for flexible, lightweight, small and thin wiring with high density. Flexible and printed circuit board answers the need for flexible boards.
Kinds of FPB or Flexible Printed Boards
There are mainly two dielectric substances that are used for the making of flexible printed circuits. They are thermoplastics and thermosetting plastics. Thermoplastics are softened after the curing process and heat input. It can be polymers, a fluorinated hydrocarbon.
How to Choose the Films for PCBs?
PCB Prototype makes use of different films. There are factors determining the choice of the film:
• The cheaper flex circuit and cost down circuit is built on the polyester film offering great performance at lower cost. There is a reduction in thermal resistance.
• The high performing PCB or flex PCB for military purposes are made with polyimide films as they offer great performance.
• Aramid is another material which is not that costly but attracts a bit of moisture.
• It is tough to handle fluorocarbons that are expensive. You receive the finest dielectic properties. It is utilized on the PCB Prototype for a restricted impedance application.
• The most common material used in the PCB is certainly polyimide films. It is so because of the cost factor and the thermal, electrical performance.