Check out the article, Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: A Quick-Start Checklist from the AutoCrit Blog for this quick and simple start to self-editing.
1. Clean things up:
- Clear out the clutter.
- Weed out “to be” verbs and other passive constructs.
- Eliminate clichés
2. Check Narrative Flow
- Show, don’t tell.
- Find and eliminate redundancies.
- Vary sentence lengths.
- Pace yourself.
- Get rid of excess dialogue tags.
- Stick to “said” and “asked.”
- Keep adverbs out of dialogue tags.
Evaluate your character development, conflict, action, and theme.
I’ve listed the main points on the checklist, but to get the details, you’ll need to read the article. If you’re ready to begin self-editing, need help or a little direction you can test AutoCrit for free