The Culture of Spin is Destroying US
We have all had our heartstrings tugged with the images of children this week, and as a mother I cannot imagine losing my child, even for a day. Emotions have gotten so out of hand, it’s becoming dangerous.
Immigration, particularly illegal immigration is a serious issue in which we should all be willing to sit down and have a thoughtful discussion. In a civil society it is called a debate. You present your side, calmly and rationally, in a way to persuade me and I do the same. Usually, in a good debate, both parties learn something and give a little, if not come together in agreement. That is not what’s happening today. Let’s look at what’s happening and why.
A Culture of Spin
I read a book years ago that forever changed my opinion of the media. The title of the book is called, Spin Sisters by Myrna Blyth. The book’s focus is on women and how all forms of media — TV, magazines, advertisements, and news, manipulate us.
Victimization and fear sell.
“The goal of these shows (stories), as my producer friend admitted, is not as much to right wrongs as it is to make sure the viewers stay tuned. This is done by keeping the story as simple and dramatic as possible. Keep it simple and the blood pumping. And if the facts are wrong, so what?”
“If there’s a victim, there must be a villain.”
Spin Sisters was mainly about the manipulation of women by the media, but when we really examine their techniques, it’s evident all of us have been duped. We’re falling in line, swallowing their stories, headlines, or advertisements — hook, line, and sinker.
The media and those that rely on the media to get their messages out, have perfected the manipulation of us all.
Consider any of the numerous sensational news stories on any network or paper, and listen — pay attention. You will see the same photos splashed on the screens; hear the same words and phrases repeated by every person on the camera, whether it’s the pundit, journalist (and I use that term lightly) or a guest panelist, and the same thread of thought.
The more provocative or sensational, the better, and damn the facts. One of the most recent examples is the word “cult” to describe Trump followers. The verbiage over the airways was almost word for word.
And, this week we saw spin taken to the extreme. Playing on a mother’s instinctive, protective nature we saw misleading photos, heard words that triggered our most basic fears of child abused, abandonment, and kidnapping. It awoke the mother lion in all of America and beyond, and THAT WAS THE PURPOSE.
Let’s look at a few Examples.
This photo was plastered across my morning newspaper. I’ve probably seen it a thousand times this week claiming, “immigrant children ripped from their parents arms are being kept in cages.”
The title caption in my newspaper, the Spartanburg Herald Journal, read:
Here’s the caption from the original photo dated June 18, 2014 — the Obama Presidency.
“Detainees sleep and watch television in a holding cell where hundreds of mostly Central American immigrant children are being processed and held at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Nogales Placement Center in Nogales, Ariz. in this June 18, 2014, (Photo: Ross D. Franklin/AP)
Here’s another misleading photo:
Once again, reported as occurring today on the border, but it also was a lie.This photo is from June 18, 2014, the same as the other. Both of these photos and many others were used falsely to create chaos and outrage. News organizations once revered for fact-finding, now fabricate photos and then defend them.
Words like, Nazi, concentration camps, interment, ripped, taken, inhumane, immoral were thrown around like confetti and the more often they were repeated, printed, or reported, the emotions of another time ramped up the outrage and anger.
Everyone started tweeting, blogging and disseminating this false narrative to the point we as a nation are in crisis.
No, I’m not referring to the children, but to us. People are being harassed and bullied, run out public places, and harassed in their homes.
Those shouting the loudest did not shout in 2014. They did not hold press conferences every five minutes and demonize or moralize about Obama. And they certainly didn’t stand by an allow anyone to call for Malia or Sasha to be ripped from Michelle’s arms and handed to pedophiles!
And, even after a federal judge ruled against Obama there was nothing but silence. Everything was kept hush-hush because it was Obama in office.
Judge Dolly M. Gee of the Federal District Court for the Central District of California rejected the Obama administration’s arguments for holding the families, saying they violated the longstanding 1997 class action suit known as the Flores Settlement, which governs the treatment of unaccompanied minors apprehended at the border.
Gee slammed the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the Obama administration and other federal officials in the ruling for allowing children to be held in facilities that were of “widespread and deplorable conditions.”
In addition, Gee noted that federal officials had “failed to meet even [the] minimal standard” of “safe and sanitary” holding cells.
Don’t misunderstand, the children coming across the border is a sad and horrific story. We need to find a solution, but we forget in all the manufactured hysteria:
- We were not the mothers who placed that child in harms way. We did not place our most beloved into the hands of a coyote, drug smuggler, or human trafficker under the guise of sending them to a better life.
I believe immigration is important. With our thriving economy, we need immigrants. I believe in giving as many people who want it the opportunity to achieve the American dream. However, I believe all immigrants should follow the law and come in the right way, the legal way.
Our border men and women, HHS,and yes, even our President are doing what we can to protect this flood of children. It’s not perfect, but we’re trying. What are you doing? Are you contributing to a solution, or to the chaos?
Don’t take my word for it, listen to what your politicians had to say about illegal immigration:
Here’s why it matters: Statistics
- The “illegal alien” category accounted for the following share of convictions in the crimes:
- 1,640 of 2,181 total convictions (75 percent) in which the primary charge was simple drug possession.
- 13 of 43 convictions (30 percent) for kidnapping/hostage taking.
- 21 of 100 convictions (21 percent) for “national defense” crimes, which include convictions for exporting arms, munitions or military equipment without a license or providing material support to designated foreign terrorist organizations or for terrorist purposes, per a 2013 commission report.
- 3,555 of 19,989 convictions (18 percent) for drug trafficking.
- 69 of 665 convictions (10 percent of them, for money laundering.
- 5 of 91 convictions, or 5.5 percent, for murder.
Politifact determined the statement to be TRUE, accurate with nothing significant missing.
- There are at least 12.3 million enslaved adults and children around the world “at any given time.”
- Of these, at least 1.39 million are victims of commercial sexual servitude, both internationally and within national borders. More than half, 56 percent, of all forced labor victims are women and girls. (Source: United Nations, International Labor Organization).
- The cartels are also driving the current border-children crisis in the U.S. Since last October, 52,000 unaccompanied minors were apprehended by Border Patrol.
Extremists and activists have hijacked “free speech” in order to create havoc, shower shame on others, and silence anyone who disagrees. They’ve crowned themselves the judge and jury in order to promote their agenda, and make no mistake - their agenda is power. Why else would they go to these extremes?
My point in all of this is to say we’ve been misled and hood winked by the left, the media, and political activists who have spun the facts to their advantage. This not about the children, it has never been about the children. If it was, the focus would be on what we are doing, finding soultions, and pushing our legislatures to the bargaining table.
This is about ratings; about keeping the story alive, the blood pumping, viewers watching, and subscribers reading. This is about regaining power. It’s about getting votes. It’s about tying the hands of law enforcement, discrediting a President more than solving problems at the border.
It’s not about the children and it certainly isn’t about us — the legitimate citizens of the United States.
We can’t fix the problem at the border but our legislatures can. In the meantime there are things we can do:
- Start supporting our law enforcement and those who are trying to keep us safe and do their jobs.
- Understand the border patrol risk their lives to keep us safe and protect the children.
- Stop supporting Hollywood elites who think they know better than we do about what’s best for us.
- Stop accepting it’s okay for Comedians and talk-show host who call for the decapitation of a duly elected President or others who call for the kidnap and rape of our President’s son.
- Stop supporting and tolerating public harassment of people trying to do their job. Bullying is bullying regardless of ones imagined moral outrage.
- Stop listening to politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths at election time. Hold then accountable.
- Stop watching talk show host who denigrate, or trash a duly elected President or call for the economy to crash. What sane person calls for a thriving economy to disappear, for people to lose their jobs, and security because they don’t like the President?
- Stop allowing the duplicity of punishing free speech on one-hand and applauding it on another.
- Stop using free speech as an excuse to say anything no matter how false, incendiary, or debasing.
- Stop accepting the debasing language now so popular at the awards shows and the stages of Hollywood.
- Stop buying everything the media puts in front of you. Do your own research.
- Start thinking for yourselves and start demanding.
- Demand more of yourself and others.
Tearing each other and the very fabric of our society into shreds will not fix this. We must people together, support and encourage our elected officals, and help wherever we can. If we lift each other, we can solve anything issue.
Don’t be a part of the spin.