These are the things a computer science and computer engineer student must know!
I’m gonna answer this from my experience. I could not get this knowledge in my age because lack of resource & unawareness. But today I know what I must know as a computer engineer (undergraduate). I’m pursuing master studies and in part time I go for teaching engineering students.
The very first thing is difference between computer science and computer engineering. You should know which stream you belong to.
Second thing, formatting computers, laptops & mobile. You should know how to install new OS, how to upgrade or root your phone. Rooting is illegal but you must know this thing.
Third thing, basic working of computer system. I mean you should know the processor and it’s technology. Now a days even smart phones have good processors. You must understand the basic components of computer system.
Fourth thing, in this let’s talk about some concepts and techniques.
Take a look at this blog post by Steve Yegge (formerly of Amazon, now at Google): five-essential-phone-screen-questions — steveyegge2
- Basic programming (including recursion, file I/O, formatted output, loops etc)
- Object oriented design (including design patterns etc). You should be able to produce sensible OO designs as well as understanding the concepts.
- Scripting and regexes.
- Data structures — lists, sets, hashtables, trees, graphs, and so on — as well as Big O notation and algorithmic complexity.
- Bits, bytes and binary numbers — how numbers are represented within the computer, and how to manipulate them.
Fifth thing, you need to be aware of every latest technical updates and hacks. For this there are many site and applications are available but I have my own selected, they are:
- Fossbytes — Fresh Bytes of Technology and More (Website): This is tech media startup of India. And they have application, you must install it as a computer engineer graduate. Here is the link: Fossbytes — Tech & Linux News — Android Apps on Google Play (application)
- Curiosity Makes You Smarter (Website): this is another website which provides you lots of knowledge in various areas. Curiosity — Android Apps on Google Play and this is the application that you must have it.
- And here is the list of books: 12 Most Influential Books Every Software Engineer Needs to Read. This books make you great developer, great engineer. This books can save you from making common and silly mistakes while code.
Sixth thing, videos and Youtube channel.
- Technical Guruji: This youtube channel provides you every technical updates and concepts in Hindi. RECOMMENDED!
- Gate Lectures by Ravindrababu Ravula: A great mentor, a great teacher sir Ravindrababu Ravula. You can get solution of any technical subjects here. Some of them videos are paid but there are many other videos that can help you during your university exam.
- nptelhrd: No need to introduce this channel. Best lectures on any subjects by IIT professors.
- MIT OpenCourseWare: It is an educational YouTube channel providing help videos and tutorials directed at computer programming via the use of illustrated examples and creative teaching techniques.
- thenewboston: It is a YouTube channel providing computer-related tutorials including programming tutorials, tips and other helpful videos.
Seventh thing, bunk classes often. OFTEN!!! because 75% attendance is necessary. I personally think that attending regular class is completely waste of your time. I attended regular classes, though! what I got from this? Good marks. Nothing else.
Eighth thing, have a habit of watching good movies and TV series. I don’t think that I should stretch this point more. Watch sci-fi, thriller, mystery movies those are my favourite genre. I prefer old classic Hollywood movies over Bollywood.
Ninth thing, develop hobby. Hobby would be technical or non technical. Choose what you love. As a technical hobby, take part in technical events, make projects, work as a freelancer and non technical hobby consist dance, music, traveling, making Youtube videos etc. Find what you love to do and work on it. At last during placements those extra activities make your resume strong, don’t forget to mention them.
Tenth thing, develop soft skills. As a computer engineer you must know that how to code? but this soft skill adds up in your profile and makes huge impact in your annual package.
Visit this website, go through all those stuff, which are listed there and try to learn as soon as possible.
Be passionately curious!
Image source: Upwork