In this story, I will tell you how easily you can bypass the 10 minutes viewing limit of HotStar. After reading this story, you won’t have the need to buy HotStar premium account. In these days of IPL (Indian Premium League, March-May 2019), watch IPL for free.
Steps (For Web Browsers)
- Once you’ve viewed for 10 min, open console(either F12 or right click + inspect element or
⌘⌥Ion macOS or
- Go to the Application tab, open the LocalStorage tab. There are multiple options here — Local Storage, Session Storage and Cookies.
- In the Local Storage, you will see www.hotstar.com. Click on it, and you will see many Key-Value pairs.
- Look for the key “nofreeluncheon” as shown:
5. Double click on its value and delete it.
6. Close the Hotstar tab and start a new tab with www.hotstar.com
7. Select the match and you will be able to watch it for another 10 minutes.
8. Repeat the process after another 10 min.
Steps(For Mobile Browsers)
Why does this work?
HotStar uses Local Storage option to track 10 minutes. It keeps a counter(“elapsedTime”) in the “nofreeluncheon” key which it updates till 10 min. This data stored in Local Storage is not deleted even if the tab is closed. This data can only be deleted either programmatically or by the user. Thus we can simply delete it and browser will again start tracking this counter once Hotstar website is launched.