6 months into my career break…
Back in March ’16 I decided that enough was enough, and I wanted to take a break from the world of work and spend some time on the important things in life, and it’s turning out ok so far!
Having been successfully employed for the last 14 years in the world of digital, I have had the pleasure to work with some great people, in some leading organizations, and it has also seen me move location several times, which has been great for my family and I, come on who wouldn’t love the chance to live in Barcelona?!
So why did I choose to get out? The simple facts are that I wanted some down time, some time to think, reflect on my career & figure out what I want to do next? In addition, I wanted to spend some quality time with my family, not being tired & fractious and lacking energy, not feeling the daily stresses and strains of a life where work dominates the things you do.
6 months on, and there have been some changes:
- We have moved from the UK to Boston, Massachusetts. A huge adventure that meant VISA’s, house moves, car sales, house hunting, school hunting and adapting to a new way of life, which the children have done masterfully
- We are reliant on one income rather than two in the household, which means juggling budgets better, buying only the things that really matter, and the occasional treat here and there
- There is less tension in the household on a daily basis with everyone getting along more so
- We are all fitter & healthier than we have been in some years, due to better eating habits, better sleep and minimal drama
- We are closer as a family; my relationship with our son is better, I have seen my daughter grow from strength to strength & we have found a better balance in our lives
There have also been some challenges:
- I find the isolation of being at home tough to handle some times
- The lack of adult interaction, team interaction and sense of purpose makes me question myself and why I am here
- The lack of stress and pressure is also a challenge, as it can make you less focussed and motivated, sometimes to even get up in the morning
These are things that have been overcome, and are minor effects of that are far outweighed by the positives.
All in all the 6 month break so far has given me what I wanted & what we NEEDED. I have learned a lot about me as a person, as a father and as a member of a wonderful family and if I am destined to be a stay at home father & husband to my wife & family, then so be it, life could be much much worse!
I am however starting to look around at opportunities in the area, and there are many, but I won’t be rushing into it the next one that comes my way. I want the next move to be right, not just for me, not just for the company, but for my family and our wellbeing as this new balanced approach is something we all want to continue.