Fries are delicious- any time, any day, any way you cut them. But…mushroom fries? Whether you are a verified mushroom-hater or have vengeance on all veggies, we are here to make you a believer! Your skepticism will be squashed the second you take a bite of these breaded, seasoned, cheesy spears dipped in our Classic Ketchup. So what are you waiting for? Be fearless and give these fries a fair shot!
4 large portobellos
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs, lightly crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 Tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
3/4 cup flour
3 large eggs
Olive oil, for frying
Sir Kensington’s Classic Ketchup (for dipping)
1. Clean off the tops of the portobello mushrooms, remove the stem, scrape out the gills and slice them into ½-inch wide strips.
3. Combine the Panko breadcrumbs, oregano, parsley and Parmesan in a small bowl. Place the flour in a second small bowl, and then lightly beat together the eggs in a third small bowl.
4. Bread each mushroom strip by coating it in the flour, then the eggs, and then the breadcrumbs.
5. Heat 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottom pot over medium heat until it reaches 365ºF.
6. Working in small batches, fry the portobellos until golden brown, turning occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the portobello fries to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately season with salt. Return the oil to 365ºF between each batch and repeat frying process with remaining portobellos.
7. Serve with Sir Kensington’s Classic or Spicy Ketchup for dipping.