So, you want to apply for one of our open positions? Here is your ultimate what-to-expect-when-I-apply-at-Blendle guide.
1. Application & Review ✉️
After you hit the apply button you’ll see an application form. Aside from your contact information, we will also ask you to answer some questions about yourself. We want to get to know YOU — resumes telling us what high school you went to or what supermarket you mopped the floors of is not what we are most interested in. Did you finish university? Good for you (and for us). But don’t worry if you haven’t — other things are far more important to us!
We’d really like to know what motivated you to push the apply button. We’re super proud of our product and we work hard to make it even better, so tell us what makes you enthusiastic about our company. We’d also like to see some code and/or side projects. Make sure to include links to your open source projects and examples of your work or blog — whatever it is that makes you proud!
After you hit the final button you’ll receive email confirmation. Your application will then be reviewed by our recruiter and hiring team, including senior members of the team you’re applying for.
Based on the information you provide we’ll decide if you are a match for the position. If you are not the right match (for now) we’ll still contact you after your application to let you know. You can expect a reply within 7 days. Haven’t heard from us? Send us a message!
If we do think you’re a match for this position, recruitment will contact you to set up a call.
2. Phone interview 📞
The second stage of the process is an informal 15–30 minute phone call with our recruiter. The goal of this call is for us to get to know each other a bit better before we continue to an on-site interview. You don’t need to prepare anything, but keep the following topics in mind:
- Blendle, obviously. We want to know what you think of our product. Be honest!
- Motivation. Why do you want to work here?
- Work. What are you currently doing? Tell us about your skills!
- Career expectations. Where do you see yourself in the future?
- Salary expectations. We don’t want unpleasant surprises at the end of the process, do we? ;)
- Our process. We’ll let you know what you can expect from us during the hiring process — we want to be as transparent with you as possible every step of the way!
Also, don’t be afraid to ask questions. This call is also for you to explore if this position, and Blendle, is right for you. There are no right or wrong questions — just shoot!
After the phone screening, we’ll get back to you quickly. Expect an email or phone call within 24 hours.
3. On-site interview 🏢
Assuming we are both happy after the call we will invite you to our office for an on-site interview with our Hiring Manager™.
The Hiring Manager will tell you everything about the position and daily work. In this stage we also want to know more about your previous work and your skill level. This is an opportunity for you to ask more in-depth questions about the role you are interviewing for.
A great way to prepare for this interview (or any, if you ask us) is to do your research. Look Blendle up online, read interviews, blogs, or videos and check out the people you are interviewing with.
You can start by checking out some of these links:
Extra preparation tips
- Bring some work with you that you are proud of. You might not need it during the interview, but we want to see what projects make you excited!
- Prepare questions. Think about the things that are important to you in a job. Preparing a few questions ahead of time is the best way to make sure you walk away with all of the information you need. Remember, hiring is a mutual decision. We want you to be just as enthusiastic about us as we are about you.
Here’s what we’re looking for in a candidate at this stage
- Drive. We think motivation is really important at a startup. We expect the people who join us to think of Blendle as if it was their own.
- Fit. Do you fit the startup mindset? Can you handle the heat? Everyday is different at a startup! We want to know if you can deal with the pressure of shipping and switching between different projects. And even better: do you enjoy it? Will a dynamic environment spark your creativity and excite your enthusiasm? Can you see yourself working in our team?
- Work. While we can’t truly judge your work during an interview, we can get a sense if you know what you are talking about.
After the interview, the recruiter and hiring manager will sit down to share their feedback. Based on this, we’ll make a decision on whether we’ll invite you to the next step. While we do this, you should go home, sit down with your partner, friend, family, cat, or magic 8 ball and decide if you want to move forward with us.
We will do our best to get back to you within 3 days, and will let you know if we need more time. We know how stressful waiting after an interview can be — we will do our best to keep you informed at each stage of the process as much as we can! :)
4. Assignment 🏠
If we’re still feeling good after the on-site interview, our recruiter will send you the Blendle Challenge. We’ve created a unique assignment for each position (even the non tech roles!) at Blendle to test your skills. It will likely take you a few hours to complete the assignment, but you can work on it from home. We won’t give you an impossible deadline but try to keep to the time we suggest. This will give you an idea of our actual work rhythm.
After completing the assignment, the team will review your work and provide feedback. Our recruiter will then give you a summary of this feedback in a phone call and email. We value honesty, so we will be frank but constructive. (:
5. Pair session 💻
So, you rocked the assignment? WOOOHOOO! You’re almost there! Now for the final stage: the pair session. We’ll invite you to spend part of the day at our office where you’ll meet the team and work with them on a task. We want a feel for how you code, solve problems, and work with colleagues. From the pair session, we hope you get a better sense of the job, the team, and Blendle.
How to prepare for the pair session:
Here are some of the people you’ll meet during the pair session:
- Your team — the people you’ll actually work with
- The hiring manager
- At least one member of our management team (Alexander, Jochem or Rick)
- Our CTO (for tech roles)
Please make sure to bring your own device to the pair session!
After the pair session, each interviewer will individually provide feedback on your Drive, Fit & Work on a scale from 1–5 before it is sent to the recruiter for the evaluation session. We think individual feedback is fair as it contributes input for a more unbiased evaluation.
Making a decision about hiring is tough, and sometimes we draw the conclusion that someone isn’t the best match for the position. If that’s the case, we will call you to let you know and discuss your feedback with you so you understand our decision.
If we decide that you are the perfect match for this role, and for Blendle, we’ll also call you to tell you the news! You can then expect an offer via email, in which you’ll find an offer summary and a template of the contract. 🎉.
The final stage of hiring is onboarding. We’re an open company, so from the moment we’ve both signed off you are part of our team and have access to everything that Blendle is. It can be overwhelming, but don’t worry — we will guide you through every step of the way!
If you are still reading this, chapeau! Now you know what to do to get a job at Blendle. Next step: check our open positions on our job page.
If you have any questions or suggestions about our process, please let me know — -> firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sjamilla, Recruiter @Blendle
ps. I want to thank all the colleagues who gave me input on this! Special thanks to Georgina, who helped me made this readable for you ;).