5 Steps to Your Personal Brand
What is your favorite part of the LinkedIn Profile? Do you really enjoy digging deep into the experience or are you more of a “tell me about yourself” viewer?
I personally enjoy the creative summaries at the top of the profile. As a recruiter for over 20 years, I am still passionate about personal branding. The lines are blurred between career and personal branding and they become interchangeable. Your personal branding is what makes you unique, your experiences and skills that make up who you are and what you represent. Getting a handle on this will differentiate you from others. I am a true believer everyone has something exclusive to offer.
Building your personal brand is not an overnight quick fix. It takes time to build over time. The objectives and specifics look different for everyone. You also do not have to be on every social media outlet to get the word out about who you are and what you do. It’s like taking your elevator pitch and blowing it up to showcase all parts of your uniqueness. It also blends your personal, employer and corporate brands.
Here are the key components to building your brand over time:
- Build an online presence that showcases your qualifications. When someone looks you up on LinkedIn or Googles you, what do you want them to see?
- Building credibility and an audience. Define your brand positioning and personal statement. (This will take time and will evolve over time!)
- Utilize special elements that represent you. A professional photo, colors, illustrations and/or quotes.
- Develop creative content for appropriate social media platforms.
- Continue to have conversations with others on various platforms. Consider writing content to express what you know best on a monthly or quarterly basis. This will keep your name out there.
This will take time and it doesn’t have to be done all at once. It’s your story and it is evolving. Take time to understand what your values and strengths are and how you want to present in the world. If you are authentic, the right attraction will come back to you. And if you would like to begin this discussion, reach out to me.