Final case Study. University of Buffalo website.

Jun 4, 2018 · 3 min read

UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. It is a public research university with campuses in Buffalo and Amherst, New York, United States. It is commonly referred to as the University at Buffalo (UB) or SUNY Buffalo, and was formerly known as the University of Buffalo. The university was founded in 1846 as a private medical college, but in 1962 merged with the State University of New York (SUNY) system. UB is the largest and most comprehensive campus in the 64-campus SUNY system. It is a member of the Association of American Universities. Mascot: Victor E. Bull.

I start my research with building personas. I created 3 types of personas for this type of investigation and select 3 users for interviews that could be similar to my personas. So all my users easily found out about Arabic language instructions through “Info for future students’’ submenu. Two of my users also found mascot of UB but it took them more time that i expected. During the interview and based on my users comments I found next problems on this particular website:

  • Color palette was too heavy for users. Website is using 4 colors for presentation of content.
  • Slideshow on main page is too distracting. Pictures is too big and its not aligned with header menu which is shorter.
  • Search box module issue. When user trying to click on search box to type some text , its opening up and overlapping menu buttons on header.
  • Visual objects (like ‘header’ bottom line) are not smooth and distracting
  • It’s hard to find section that related to university sport life. It’s hided somewhere in footer menu under about UB submenu.
  • Its hard to find Campus location and all of it main parts. So My users had trouble to find where Airport is located and how to get to the campus.

My main problem that I chose to solve will be the difficulty with search of nearest Airport in UB website. Nobody got any Airport info during 10 min of using website. So I decided to add Locations & Maps to the existing header to expend it with useful info. Also I decide to fix small issues with mascot of UB university by creating a new menu button within a header section too. I was using A/B testing technique for this type of case, because pain point was clear and i just wanted to give to users 2 options how it could be fixed. Option “B” won.

That’s how the main page will look like after all my changes(Option ‘B’):

And also take a look on “Location & Maps” page that helps users to find the nearest AirPort to the UB campus:


Basically I added a new menu option: “Locations & Maps”, where users can click and choose type of map they want and mark locations what they want to see on that maps. Alos I created “Athletics” menu where users can easily find all info about sport life of UB and university macsot as well.

What I learned during this exercise:

  • How to work with “Redesign” projects step by step.
  • How to interview the users and monitor their reactions and based on comments and reactions identify pain points.
  • How to fix design problems by creating and presenting prototype variations to the users.
  • Improved my prototyping skills.
  • Got some experience in using A/B testing.

Thnx for your attention. #Designmaking.


Written by


Product Designer. Ukraine raised & Miami based. Creating experiences🖱🖱

Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch
Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore
Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade