The Power of Design Thinking
Ever have a problem you can’t solve right away?
Sometimes looking at things from a new perspective can help guide us to finding a smarter, more effective solution.
What is the Design Thinking Process? How and Why do we use it?
- Empathy- To emphasize with someone is to see the world through their eyes.
This is extremely important because it allows you to view the problem from another person’s perspective and in turn, find the best possible outcome for all parties involved.
2. Define- This is where we express the problem we need to address.
Helps guide creative thinking and bring focus to the problem at hand.
3. Ideate- Here we find out team member’s strengths and their perspectives to brainstorm solutions.
Find solutions outside of the box, and keep options open. Things can change and things can improve.
4. Prototype- We build, test, and refine solutions. Develop new ideas and solve disagreements in group.
It’s okay to fail, try again! The only failure is to quit trying. Have multiple solutions to solve one problem, and don’t be afraid to take risks and always improve.
5. Test- Final, not so final step.. Improvement is always needed. Don’t be afraid to go back to square one.
Sometimes we find new solutions after “completing” the process.. We have to think of the design thinking process as a cycle rather than a complete task/done thing.
It’s important to take the opportunity to rebuild through observation.
I challenge all of you to go be the design thinkers of your era!
Step up and ask the challenging questions, come face to face with the unknown, and map out a plan for change.