Overcoming Writer’s Block

Put Your Fingers on the Keyboard and Move Them

Srinivas Rao

I don’t believe in writer’s block. If there was such a thing, the thoughts in your mind would come to a screeching halt. While that would be nice and make us feel like Zen buddhists on ecstasy, it never happens.

The simple hack to overcoming writer’s block is just to get your fingers moving. Write whatever you’re thinking. Eventually words flow. The goal isn’t to be perfect. You can always go back and erase.

Just write. It doesn’t matter what. Most of it won’t be that great. But it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t need to be. The most prolific creators are the ones who create a lot. In Erik Wahls book, Unthink he talks about preparing things for the trash can.

This liberates you.

It lets you do things that might not work.

It lets you fail.

It let’s you move on.

It lets you explore.

It lets you write lousy shit

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about the 15 principles for creative living, that was a big hit, but the precursor to was this disjointed mess of thoughts:

You can’t plan for brilliance. As Paul Jarvis says sometimes rainbows and unicorns come out of your ass. That’s what happens. I shit brilliance about 20% of the time. The other 80% I shit what most people do, SHIT. Profound huh? That’s what this whole process is like. I think we glamorize the lives of people thinking that they live these highly creative lives.

Not exactly poetry, but what followed was some of my best work. Put your fingers on the keyboard and move them.


I’m the host and founder of The Unmistakable Creative Podcast, where I have weekly conversations with creative entrepreneurs and other insanely interesting people. Our guests have included bloggers, authors, bank robbers, happiness researchers and world famous cartoonists.

    Srinivas Rao

    Written by

    Order An Audience of One: Reclaiming Creativity for Its Own Sake:https://amzn.to/2LVjgQa Listen to the @UnmistakableCR podcast in iTunes http://apple.co/1GfkvkP

    Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch
    Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore
    Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade