Algorithm Of Virtual Reality Applications Development
Virtual Reality is a creation of modern technologies. It is an unreal world made by technical means and transmitted to a person through his sensations.
VR has a huge potential and is rapidly gaining momentum. According to experts, by 2020 the industry will be estimated at $ 30 billion.
The creation of VR applications can bring an excellent income. A good profit can be gained just by creating a quality application that will be on demand among users. For example, a good VR game earns up to $ 0.5 million a month.
The development of VR applications is relevant primarily for games. Since the users can better be immersed into the gameplay and thereby improve the feelings of participants in battles, races, research and other processes on a screen.
However, VR is on demand in many other areas. So, with the help of modern technologies, colorful and realistic presentations or applications are created. For example, content for:
• phobias therapy in medicine;
• tours to all corners of the globe (virtual tourism);
• generation of beautiful views from a bird’s eye;
- design and visualization of objects.
VR applications development algorithm
In order to create a successful VR application a developer must deal with a number of important tasks and issues:
1. A direction of a development. Before starting a creation of VR applications, the specialist must determine the direction of its development. It depends on the customer’s requirements. Does he need development for desktop devices, like HTC Vive, or for mobile devices like Samsung Gear VR or Google Cardboard?
There are two main areas of VR development: desktop and mobile. Mobile development is the creation of applications for mobile phones, tablets, smartphones and other gadgets. This kind of apps creation is easier and faster because it can be done without having a suitable smartphone in a hand. Desktop development is used for specialized VR glasses and helmets. This kind of development requires a constant correspondence with a particular VR device and VR adapter which needs a considerable work.
2. Software. The design for VR apps or games is very similar to the design of video games because in both cases the developer is dealing with an interactive 3D experience. The difference is that in VR the developer needs to pay special attention to the effect of presence, immersive, non-linear narrative, non-nauseating movement, and graphical optimization.
Most VR developers prefer to use VR engines. From the very beginning, they have to choose what engine to work on. The most popular engines are Unreal Engine and Unity. Both have very broad capabilities and are reliable tools. These platforms allow to control the 3D environment, import an own content (3D models, images, sound, video), and also program interactivity and gameplay.
3. Content. After choosing the engine, the developer proceeds to create the graphic content of the audio material and 3D modeling to fill the virtual world. Since the Virtual Reality requires the most realistic visual and sound design from different sides, even if the object is abstract, this stage of development is the most laborious and painstaking.
3.1 Graphical content. Virtual Reality means a usage of a high-quality graphics. In order to make the best image, professional designers’ work is unreplaceable here. But also, developers use stores with sets of assets. Each of VR engines has its own stores of assets: Unreal Marketplace or Unity Asset Store.
Graphical content is the central element of each VR project. It determines what is worth to be shown to the user, how a VR project will affect him and what the project bears within itself. Since the deep immersion relates to a psychological state of a VR user, professionals should have in mind some certain ethical frameworks in VR-projects. This is a big responsibility and a developer needs to be careful with it.
3.2 Audio content. Correct use of sound increases the immersion in times and brings impressions to a new level. As in the case of graphics, a specialist needs to focus on realism and quality. The greatest degree of immersion is achieved by placing sound sources relative to the position of the user, in the direction of his eyesight.
4. User interface. After determining the engine and preparing art materials, a developer has to figure out how to make a project interactive. This stage is very important and will have an impact on future users of the application. After all, an implementation of reckless decisions in terms of stereoscopic rendering can cause the situation when the users may feel sick while using the app.
Development of a user interface in VR, or the interaction between a person and a machine, is complicated by technological problems. The developer needs to experiment with new abstractions, applying special controllers, which will control the viewing angle which takes lots of time and accuracy.
The introduction of UI and UX experience at this stage of development becomes strategically important. Therefore, during the development of VR-applications, it is worth paying much attention the aspect of user experience which is the basis of web design.
5. VR development process itself. Having received information about the most important fundamentals of a good VR application, the programmer can finally consider the ideal development process. It starts with the creation of the prototypes. Prototypes are very useful, as the future project can be tested and improved at this stage. This greatly reduces the number of dependencies and the complexity of the project.
Next step is analytics. This part of the process is very important and central for the development of high-quality projects. During this phase, the developer should always wear the VR-glasses on. After the analytics development team goes to testing again. This circle will stop only when the projects will be totally done.
Virtual Reality is to not only a new technology but also a completely new way of communication. The technology is so young that there are no established rules and proven practices that can be relied on. Complete freedom — everything starts from scratch. Trust your project to specialists and enjoy the amazing results.