Nothing says comfort like a good one-pot. This sizzling beef and spinach dish has bags of flavour and with just 20 minutes hands on cooking time it’s a great family winner dinner.
Works really well as left overs for lunch the next day too, if it makes it that far! I made this with steak mince but you could also make it with frying steak if you prefer, just make sure you adjust the cooking times accordingly.
Top with mozzarella and place in the oven to melt for that stringy cheese treat when you pull your fork out!
Hands-on: 20 minutes
Overall: 55 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving)
Total Carbs 10.5 grams Fiber 2.8 grams Net Carbs 7.7 grams Protein 34.5 grams Fat 36.5 grams of which Saturated 16 grams Energy 511 kcal Magnesium 65 mg (16% RDA) Potassium 899 mg (45% EMR)
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (28%), fat (66%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 1 tbsp ghee or extra virgin olive oil
- 800 g good quality ground beef (1.76 lb)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 large red chilli pepper, sliced (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- 1 large carrot, diced (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 1 medium red pepper (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400 g/ 14.2 oz)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos (15 ml)
- 100 g fresh spinach (3.5 oz)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (plus extra to serve)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and black pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock or beef stock (480 ml/ 16 fl oz)
- 200 g mozzarella cheese (7.1 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C/ 375 F (fan assisted). Peel and dice the carrots and onion.
- Heat the ghee (or olive oil) in a cast iron frying pan or Paella pan. It needs to be able to be used on the hob and in the oven.) (Option to dry fry if you have a good non stick Paella pan). Add the beef and fry for 6 minutes, gently breaking up the mince with a wooden spatula until it has no big lumps.
- Drain the juices in a cup and discard. Once cool, put in the bin, not down the sink or it will block the drain.
- Add the carrot, onion and garlic and fry for 4 minutes. Add the pepper, paprika and chilli and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, oregano, salt and pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes on a medium heat. Reduce to a low heat and cook for a further 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir through the spinach and cook for the remaining 3 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Slice or grate the mozzarella and add to the top of the sizzling beef and spinach one-pot. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes until melted. Once melted, remove from the oven, top with fresh parsley and serve.
- Enjoy immediately or let it cool down and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.