My Name is Sam. I Am Sam.
Inspired by Mills, these are the things you need to know about me.
I’ve always found it difficult to explain who I am. But as I become a designer, and I look to create great and authentic work, knowing who I am and what my voice is is vitally important. So, here it goes .
- I’m 28 years old and have spent the last 6 months back in education. 9 years after leaving school in 2008, I decided to study Art and Creative Design at East Kent College Folkestone in 2017–18.
- Naturally, I’m your stereotype generalist. Someone who tries to put their hands to anything, in an attempt to solve problems and remove barriers for people. It’s something I’ve always done, and is what drives me to design.
- I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and currently take medication for it. With this medical support and counselling I undertook at the end of 2016, I’m feeling better than I have in years. Though, I still have bad days.
- I absolutely love board games, and try to play them as often as I can with my friends. And when I say board games, I mean PROPER nerdy board games. Like Pandemic, Gloomhaven, and Captain Sonar.
- This year, I’m committing to make major changes in my life. I’ve already started design education, but by accepting Mills as my Mentor and sharing in his passion, there are many more changes to come.
- I lived in Barcelona for two years. These were two of the most interesting years of my life, exploring a new country, a new culture, and new experiences. All whilst feeling a little like a stranger.
- I have friends around the world who inspire me and challenge me every day. I must tip my hat to Russ, Marshall, Gian, Jacopo, Gab, Zac, Andrew, Alex, Patrick, Cassius, Luke, Daniel, and Denys.
- I care way too much about signage and information design.
- I believe autonomous vehicles will replace all human drivers in the next 30 years. And that it will be illegal for humans to drive on public roads shortly after.
- I love musicals.
- I believe we need to make drastic changes to how we design and build cities for a more-populous, resource-stretched world.Towns and cities must be designed for humans, not cars.
- I’m terrible at drawing. But, I keep trying and trying. One day, I’ll be able to draw my dream house. Until then, it’ll be in my brain.
- I want to redesign the world. From apps to architecture, I want to learn the skills I need to design a better world for those around me and those who come after me.
- My email is email@example.com. And it’s open to anyone who wants to discuss design or the future with me.