Women Safety in Uttar Pradesh
For safety of women, Akhilesh Yadav led Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh has launched ‘1090 - Women Power Line’ which is an IVRS (Interactive Voice Response System) based service to provide immediate help to harassed women and girls in Uttar Pradesh. 1090 was inaugurated under progressive leadership of Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Akhilesh Yadav on November 15, 2012 which is being successfully operated by the Uttar Pradesh Police department headed by Navneet Sekera.
Uttar Pradesh Government Committed towards Women Safety
1090 Women Power Line was initiated by Uttar Pradesh Government with the purpose to provide immediate help to the women who are harassed. Women can register a complaint against the harassment, domestic violence, fake calls, internet based harassment and eve-teasing by dialing 1090. To file a complaint, women can dial 1090 number or send a message to the WhatsApp number 9454401090 for help. They can also register complaint online by logging into www.1090up.in. Smartphone users can use the android application, i.e. Shakti app. With the help of the app “Shakti 1090”, victims can record audio and video clips and send them to the Uttar Pradesh police control room directly.
1090 Women Power Line was launched with the mission to provide a platform for women/girls in Uttar Pradesh where they can easily communicate about the problems they face. Earlier women hesitated to speak about the violence and harassment they suffer, which resulted in the increase in offenses in the society against women and to cope up with that and to empower women, Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Akhilesh Yadav launched this helpline which has women constables who attend the call of the victims and counsels them in a friendly manner. The idea of setting up such a power line came to light when the cases of ragging started to increase in universities.
1090 — Operations in Uttar Pradesh
To solve the cases of molestation, the Uttar Pradesh police have set up an ultra-modern power line and trained women police personnel called ‘Power Angels’ to handle the cases of harassment. The victim women who needs help can dial 1090 which is accessible from any telephone or mobile number to lodge complaints against harassment. A team of women constables attend the calls and provide help to victims timely. Physiological and sensitivity training were provided to women constables to ensure a safe and secure environment for all the callers. The identity of the caller is always kept secret.
The process is divided into 5 sub-division of Stars:
· One Star: The victim registers her complaint by calling on 1090. The women police constable there registers her complaint with all the details and the number through which she has been called/molested. This number is then transferred for further investigation.
· Two Star: The male cop sends a first level warning to the person who is harassing. All the details mentioned by the victim is then narrated to the accused with proof of acquisition. He might even be sent for counselling if needed. The details of the women are never shared with the accused.
· Three Star: Then the women constable from the call centre calls the victim after 24 hours of registering the complaint to get a tap on the present situation. If the molestation continues from the accused, a detailed call records are called for and analyzed by a team. The accused is then again sent for a counseling.
· Four Star: The women constables call the victim after 7 days of registering the complaint to get a tap on the case. If the molestation continues from the accused, a detailed call records is called for and analyzed then. He is given a final warning to stop the harassment and then again sent for a counseling.
· Five Star: The women constable of the call centre calls the victim after 30 days of registering the complaint again. If the harassment continues from the accused, the case is then handed over to the respective DIG who then takes the necessary legal action against the accused.
Achievements of 1090 by Uttar Pradesh Government
According to the Inspector General of the 1090 Power Line, Navneet Sekera, the helpline has resolved 3,88,658 cases between 2012 and July 2015 successfully out of which so far 1,26,642 complaints from girl students, about 28,000 complaints of working women and about 80,000 of other ladies have been received (till 9th July 2014).
- Details of the caller is kept anonymous
- Visit to police station to lodge a complaint or show up for hearing can be avoided
- Lady police officers receive the phone calls
- Police will keep in touch with victim, at least for a month until the problem is completely solved
- 1090 Women Power Help Line is applicable for the whole state of Uttar Pradesh
Other Women Safety Services by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav
After the success of 1090 Women Power Line, Uttar Pradesh Government under the efficient leadership of Akhilesh Yadav introduced another Helpline ‘181’ on March 8th, 2016.
The new 24x7 helpline will provide police, medical, legal and other facilities through this new helpline. A modern call center is being constructed in Lucknow for the same by a private GVK-EMRI company which is running the 102 and 108 ambulances in the state, while a senior administrative official is monitoring the progress.