What is EXIF
EXIF is short for Exchangeable Image File, a format that is a standard for storing interchange information in digital photography image files using JPEG compression. Almost all new digital cameras use the EXIF annotation, storing information on the image such as shutter speed, exposure compensation, F number, what metering system was used, if a flash was used, ISO number, date and time the image was taken, white balance, auxiliary lenses that were used and resolution. Some images may even store GPS information so you can easily see where the images were taken!
Because of that there is a possibility of Security Imapct.
In Bugcrowd, This Issue is considered as P3 and P4.
P3 : When the profile picture or file shared is publically available.
P4 : When the profile picture is only saw by You.
Let’s See how we can Exploit this ??????
I am adding a report that i have submitted on one of the Private Program in Bugcrowd.
VRT : EXIF Geolocation Data Not Stripped From Uploaded Images
When a user uploads an image in example.com, the uploaded image’s EXIF Geolocation Data does not gets stripped. As a result, anyone can get sensitive information of example.com users like their Geolocation, their Device information like Device Name, Version, Software & Software version used etc.
1) Got to Github ( https://github.com/ianare/exif-samples/tree/master/jpg)
2) There are lot of images having resolutions (i.e 1280 * 720 ) , and also whith different MB’s .
3) Go to Upload option on the website
2) Upload the image
3) see the path of uploaded image ( Either by right click on image then copy image address OR right click, inspect the image, the URL will come in the inspect , edit it as html )
4) open it (http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi)
5) See wheather is that still showing exif data , if it is then Report it.
This vulnerability is CRITICAL and impacts all the example.com customer base. This vulnerability violates the privacy of a User and shares sensitive information of the user who uploads an image on example.com or any of the example.com instances.
Awarded : 500$ , Bugcrowd.
Thanks friends, This is my first , Please share your views.