TNAT Week 5 – Westward bound to BC
After a month of antics in the East, it’s time to head to the big bold Canadian land of British Columbia. I’d been told I’d love Vancouver. And I freakin’ do! Breathtaking and inspiring, I am in love. Shhh, just don’t say anything to Mads – well, I never did believe in monogamy anyway. 😜
Now to the highlights of my new chapter out west…
- The warmest welcome from Rachel & Captain Speed. Arriving at their Kitsilano home (the rich hippy neighbourhood apparently), I felt at home within seconds. And within minutes we were brunching near the beach and soaking up the summer sun. Top start to the chapter.
- Reuniting with my Nena (aka the fun and fabulous Jenny Richards). Years may have passed but you would never know – and the laughs haven’t stopped since.
- Celebrating Canada Day in Canada on the country’s 150th birthday. We wandered the streets of Vancouver surrounded by red and white, thanks to the enthusiasm of thousands of Canadians. Live music, Native American dancing, drinks tents and glorious sunshine – I was as happy as a pig in poop.
- A rooftop BBQ-cum-karaoke soirée at Casa Mockler. Free flowing rosé bubbles, house burgers and some superb Spotifying by yours truly saw us squiffy and singing til the sun went down.
- Almost kayaking at Deep Cove. And no that’s not a euphemism, thank you very much. Jenny, hubby Gui and I drove up to the gorgeous hotspot of Deep Cove – a popular place to kayak, paddle board and be cool. We didn’t realise you had to prebook the kayaks/boards, doh. We settled for lovely lunch and nap in the sunshine instead.
- An epic day out on Captain Speed’s boat. Salmon fishing (although we didn’t catch anything!), a dip in the ocean and some successful crab fishing. Not stopping there, we then went for a little hike in the Lynn Valley Canyon. Beyond beautiful.
- After a whirlwind love affair with VAN city, Jenny and I hopped the ferry to Vancouver Island and her hometown of Nanaimo. We picked up our hire car and headed down to Victoria – capital of BC. A lovely little city, and they even have home comforts of Pimms. Summer mode officially ON. 😊
Coming soon… I’ll be here for the next week adventuring around the island. And hopefully my next update might involve some local fauna. 🐻 🐳 🐱