40 Questions Everyone Is Afraid To Ask — Question 2
This is question 2 in the “40 Questions Everyone Is Afraid To Ask” collection.
What worries you most about the future?
To be honest, I am not a worrywart. There is not much I spend time worrying about. The past is the past, and the future will bring what it must. I just make sure the present is treating me well as much as I can.
With that said, as a husband, father, and provider, there are always the common concerns.
- Am I doing enough for my wife and kids?
- Is my job stable? Are there better options?
- When is my boss retiring, so I can apply for his job? Will they even consider me?
- Are my retirement savings making a quick enough comeback to support us when I finally submit my last time report?
- Are my kids going to have the same kind of opportunities I had when looking for work?
- Are my kids going to be happy?
- Is that boy/girl my kid is dating worthy?
- Am I raising the kids right?
- Why does my 6 year old love playing Monopoly so much? It’s so boring!
- Do I really have to help with the yard sale?
- Why can’t we go to the brew store instead of the mall?
As a father of young adults preparing to join the military, more serious concerns are in play.
- Are my kids going to be safe?
- Are they sure that is what they want to do, or do they feel compelled to do it for some reason?
- Are they going to call/write/chat/visit after they leave?
As a techie, I have concerns that stray away from those serious ones.
- When is my computer hard drive going to crash?
- Why does my TV keep resetting into Store Demo mode?
- Why doesn’t Linux play nice with this computer?
As a pet owner, there are a few.
- When is this puppy going to be 100% potty trained?
- Am I feeding them the right kind of dog food?
As a car owner, a few more.
- Should I find something that gets better gas mileage?
- When should I wash all the pollen off my truck?
- Should I rent a trailer to get a load of top soil or just have them dump it in the bed of the truck?
As a rookie beer brewer, I have a few.
- Why is my keg foaming so much?
- What toy do I want next?
- What beer should I brew next?
- Is that supposed to look like that?
As a human, maybe make it weird.
- Is someone going to miss me when I’m gone?
Those thoughts are never too far off. But I don’t fixate on them. What worries me most? I guess I’d have to say…
- Am I loving my family enough?
- Does my family know how much I love them and care for them?
- Does my family know they make me proud?
- And am I doing what I can to ensure my lasting health, so I can spend as much time with my family as possible?