Can you imagine someone teaching you to swim or drive a vehicle, within four walls of a classroom? It is impossible!! You have to get into the water to learn swimming and you have to be out on the road to learn driving. Some subjects are skill based and practice oriented. Theoretical knowledge of skill- based subjects needs to be supported by practice. Subjects like teaching and engineering are skill based. In these subjects, practical knowledge is more important than theoretical knowledge.Practical work includes experiments in laboratories, study tours, projects, assignments etc. the advantages of practical work are unmatched. Getting theoretical knowledge has no value until students can apply it for practical purposes.
- When you do something with your own hands you remember better.
- Practical work promotes experiential learning.
- Practical work encourages self-learning.
- Practical work familiarizes students with tools and equipment that he will be required to use.
- Practice leads to perfection.
- One cannot become an expert overnight; greater the practice, greater the expertise.
- Practical work is a good change from the monotonous lecture method.
- Students are required to participate actively in practical activities.
- Involvement of students is more in practical work.
- Practical work complements theory.
- Practical assignments are often carried out in groups. Group work helps to inculcate social values and values like sharing, cooperation, team spirit, compassion etc.
- Practical work makes students independent and increases their confidence.
Students who complete engineering education often find that when they start working, they are at a loss in spite of getting very good marks in the examination. If the engineering colleges in pune integrates theory with practice, students are better prepared for jobs. Practical knowledge in advance boosts their confidence.
Hence, there are several benefits of practical work. At the same time it must be remembered that theoretical knowledge is also important. Practical work is application of theory. Theory creates a strong base for practical work. One must be able to achieve a balance between theory and practice for best results. Theory and practice are two sides of the same coin.
I would like to end with a funny anecdote. One Mr. X had a master’s degree in automobile engineering and worked on a high post in a reputed organization. One day, on his way to the office, his car stopped working and he got off to investigate the problem. With his high qualification and expertise in the area, he examined each part of the car carefully but couldn’t find any fault. After a while, a peasant who was passing asked him, “What’s the matter?”
He answered, “Well, something is wrong with the car.”
The peasant replied,” Did you check the tank? Perhaps there is no petrol.”
The peasant was right.
This is what might happen when theoretical knowledge is not supported by practical knowledge.