Towards a greater collective enlightenment
SpaceX and NASA’s collective achievement today, “First manned mission to ISS, with a reusable rocket”, falls in line with what Neil Armstrong said, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
Amid a global pandemic, which has backtraced everyone’s therapy progress, 31st May can be called as the first ray of hope for the new decade.
If you are wondering, “What do I have to gain from technological advancements that might not even be happening in my country?”. This post might change your perception and exhilarate your belief in humanity’s achievements, just like how it did when Leah said “Hope”, at the end of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
This is the first post of the three-part series, “Want to create an Artificial Superintelligence? Come, let’s go to therapy together.” 🧠, focusing on the benefits of technology.
Benefits of greater collective goals
- Interplanetary travel can open up opportunities for exploring the stars and colonization, help us understand about the dark matter. With SpaceX’s success, the cost of space travel can be decreased by ~80% (Musk has estimated the to-&-fro travel cost to Mars to about 50 Million). It goes without saying that people who are interested in space, also really care about the Earth, like many environmentalists. E.g., Project Red Planet teams are looking to make biodegradable structures and research is being used to revolutionize the architecture and lessen the use of plastic on planet Earth.
- Improvement in the field of AI aids in many sectors. Like, in medicine, it can help us get more insight into mental illness and educational strategies, e.g., Parkinson’s, Alzheimer's. It can detect skin cancer in the early stage which prevents the life of many patients. In finance, it can help the government get a better grasp of the economy and the money flow in the country. In agriculture, it helps lessen the carbon emission and yield better crops. It can also help you turn Vegan without giving up on the taste of beef. 👀 In wildlife conservation, it can help bring balance to the ecosystem. In African sanctuaries, AI is being used to catch poachers and prevent the life of animals.
- Ethically moderated advancements in CRISPR (gene editing), can help us battle against the forthcoming super-bugs(these are drug-resistant bacteria, that have build immunity over the present antibodies) and speed up drug research.
- Automation and quantum supremacy can give us time to do something more productive and related to our passion — whatever that means to each of us. People who want to do something creative with their lives will be able to do so without having to choose between poverty, a job, or focusing on short-term success. Robots are already being used to do tasks like vegetable picking on farms.
- Maybe World Peace is just a term we hear during Miss World Finals now, but it is still a goal we have to achieve, and we can use technology for overcoming deeply entrenched cycles of resource and market competition. We have new opportunities for multilateral cooperation in the areas of international security, cyberspace, sustainable development, global governance, peace, and conflict.
- Technology might help us uncover one of the last great mysteries, what is intelligence or consciousness, on par with other mysteries like what is out there in the space, what is the meaning and origin of life, physical fundamentals of the universe. Having an insight into human consciousness can help improve mental health and help us reach a higher level of understanding towards mankind and their goals.
“I came to the conclusion that we should aspire to increase the scope and scale of human consciousness in order to better understand what questions to ask. Really, the only thing tht makes sense is to strive for greater collective enlightenment.”
― Elon Musk
But how do we move towards the goals?
When we talk about a comfortable life, we don’t wish to return to an era when food used to grow by God’s grace and man had everything at his disposal. We wish to reach an era of spiritual bliss, governed by passion, peace & love.
Overpopulation- Source of every problem?
If you backtrack all the major problems, from economy and security to mental peace and education, you will find overpopulation at the root of them all. But trying to commit a mass genocide is not a solution. So how do we handle this? Birth control? I don’t know. But how do we advantage from this? For one, look at the things we can achieve with humanity dedicated to achieving a better quality of life. As much as a 9-to-5 job is hated, each day we move closer to humanity’s goals due to people who spend hours behind screens/books. Even when AI and Quantum computers will take away all the heavy workloads from humans, we will always be the creators of our world and will have to keep the steering wheel in our hands to avoid chaos.
Anti-Immigration/Racism- Have no place in the future
As technology advances, companies want to work with people who have the skills and knowledge, and they are also willing to pay huge amounts to get a brainiac on their side, but how will this be possible if we are still captive to the part of our brain that chooses not to evolve? All the leading companies have already decided to break the barriers of sticking to jobseekers only from their country of origin. Technology has risen over racism, casteism, sexism and so should you. If we want to become an interplanetary species, first we need to unite as humans and put a stop to discrimination. As the Social contract theory goes, each persons’ moral and/or political obligations are dependent upon a contract or agreement among them to form the society in which they live.
Modern work culture- Best leaders are great followers
In the Silicon Valley gold rush, everyone is looking to benefit under capitalism. Everyone wants to be an entrepreneur and lead a company. But when you just focus on your viewpoints, you could be a victim of the Paradox of Our Time (taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints). You can learn and achieve a lot, by combining your ideas with someone with a similar goal. The point is not to keep you from opening your own company, it is to learn to collaborate, to start taking bliss in your work, even if it requires you to work under fifty other bosses; and work towards a greater collective goal.
There might be less space for innovation, but there is plenty for improvement.
If you are not happy with where you are but you still have to stick around due to personal/financial reasons, choose to work each day towards your goal.🔥
A majority of the workforce is depressed because they feel stuck and unable to work towards their interest. Well here’s some news for you. You are not going to sit in that cubicle, for the rest of your life! You might not even be there after a year. The thing about evolution and the human cycle is, the mantle passes on!
Of course, the change has to come from both sides.
A workplace is made up of two things- a) Company values b) Leaders and the workforce. You can work towards a greater morally positive goal but if the leaders are blinded by greed, you might not reach where you want. Situations like that call for you to put your leadership cape on! 🤝 And if you are a leader, keep your values clear and remember you are the sum of your whole organization, it’s your duty to take it forward in morally amd technically correct way.
Do more, consume less
I suppose it goes without saying, changes are brought by people who are willing to put their foot forward and not just their mouth. We are so dazed by the technology, that we cherish their advancements but forget that further progress can only be made if we all give a hand. Use your knowledge to teach and create, to do work that makes a difference! Being technologically forward is a necessity now more than ever.
“We are product of the immense torque that propels this universe. We are not individuals but a great accumulation of all that lived before.”
- Tanya Tagaq, Split Tooth
Peter Thiel stated in 2010 that the technology industry had let people down because “ we wanted flying cars, instead we got 140 characters.”
If you are working on how to get your users to click ads, you might agree with Peter. But SpaceX’s achievement today has proved how one man’s dream can take us closer to attaining collective greater enlightenment.
I hope we all use this to remember that indeed, technology is a boon and we all can do our part in taking the human race forward, by dreaming and creating.
If like me, you have been live-streaming the SpaceX feed, find me here on Twitter and lets Netflix Party the Star Wars together. 🚀
The second part of this series will focus on “Spiritual Enlightenment and Humanity’s Ultimate Goal”. Follow me if you would like to stay updated & read more of my work 🐳
While we rejoice about this great feat, let’s not forget a grave issue the world is facing right now. The fight against Racism and the riots in the USA. Keep yourself informed. Do your bit, be it because you have relatives in the US; you plan to look for job opportunities there in the future, among other personal reasons, or because you agree that we as humans can look to achieve greater collective enlightenment only if we stop being a species that discriminates based on color. #BlackLivesMatter