I am working on styling an app and our team was curious if the px that was used in the stylesheets would have a negative effect on our ability to pinch zoom. I thought, “I bet there is a way to test this from the browser console.”
Nope! All of the suggestions I came across just weren’t working for me. I did stumble across a maze of comments that in a very round-about way, helped me access my local host from my iPhone.
I’m consolidating the instructions here so you don’t have to dig around and you can get to pinchin’.
Note: these instructions are from iPhone to Mac using Safari, but there is definitely a way to do the same thing with Andriod/Chrome.
- Plug phone into computer.
- Access Settings > Safari > Advanced > enable Web Inspector
- Access Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Show develop menu in menu bar
- Find your IP Address: System Preferences > Network > Advanced > TCP/IP > IPv4
- In the url field, type your IP address followed by your port and any route you want to view.
- Example: 192.168.1.5:3000/yourapp/users/new
- Then pinch, pinch, pinch…
Tweet me @simply_cima