Let The Games Begin With A Gamification Strategy
As part of their digital strategy, most for-profit companies will consider gamification. Gamification is the application of typical elements of game playing (e.g., point scoring, competition with others, rules of play) to other areas of activity, such as online marketing or human resources as a way to encourage engagement.
Most workers and managers participating in the study state that gaming programs are now being required at their companies and that they use multiple gamification systems on the job. 530 executives, managers, and workers managers participated in the study.The interesting thing is that very few employees are complaining. Respondents to the survey revealed that gamification improves their work experience as well as elevates focus and productivity.
“C-level executives and managers at high-performance companies are realizing that the challenge to drive employee engagement and motivation is increasing year after year,” said Jon Shalowitz, CEO of Badgeville.
“Employees, especially across younger generations, become disengaged easily, causing low productivity and retention levels. Game-based motivation can be a powerful solution for today’s top workforce challenges … It’s a wise long-term investment to create an environment where employees can manage, visualize and digitally share their performance, achievements and skills.”
The mix of big data, social media, and mobile technologies provides a human-focused gamification system of hyper-connectedness, transparency, and relationship capital measurement. Your technology-powered and socially connected prospects, customers, employees, partners, and other key stakeholders connect, collaborate, and make judgments that can reward or punish your business based on their perceptions of you, your products/services, and/or company entity.
The social influence and relationship capital of your stakeholders are immense. The speed by which your reputation can be rewarded by positive behavior and performance is only matched by the possibility of business loss when the social tribe in union expresses their distrust.
Relationship Capital (RC) Is Ultimate Game of Distinction
Today, most businesses are led by a command and control mindset with financial results being the alpha and the omega. Often times, social relationships are treated as a trojan horse in achieving those financial-driven results. This short-term financial-driven mindset is destroying trust, innovation, and ironically the goal of high financial performance.
Creating More Engaged Employees with 8 Core Drives:
- Epic Meaning & Calling
- Development & Accomplishment
- Empowerment of Creativity & Feedback
- Ownership & Possession
- Social Influence & Relatedness
- Scarcity & Impatience
- Unpredictability & Curiosity
- Loss & Avoidance
Human-Focused Design — Earning Relationship Capital (RC)
Relationship Capital (RC) is an open standard interaction process for capturing, measuring, and utilizing this intangible asset of credibility and trustworthiness. Leveraging human-focused design or gamification techniques is a natural next step for the creation of PE-ER SaaS:
With regards to social interactions, executives, entrepreneurs, and other stakeholders earn Relationship Capital Points (RCPs) by receiving:
- Kept-Commitment Feedback
To not only track your progress in achieving your tasks and objectives but to be inspired by the acknowledgment from another person when they “credit” your account with Relationship Capital (RC). Turning the “emotional bank account” into a business game of purpose, commitment, and performance that will enable organizational effectiveness.
Even your most purpose-based star performers need to be coached and acknowledged. Capturing their fulfilled promises or “commitments” earns RC. Accounting for it through peer reviews and recognition only reinforces the culture of respect your have for them along with financial rewards and other recognition programs you have already in place.
- RC is about sharing your made and kept commitments with others and having others share their perceptions of your proactive trustworthiness by crediting or debiting your account with Relationship Capital (RC).
- It is less about Hierarchy. An RC Interaction is most effective as a peer-to-peer process between people from such key stakeholders such as buyers, sellers, suppliers, and partners.
- The key stakeholders mentioned above are members of an “ecosystem”.
- Earning RC is a reward for building making & keeping commitments and building positive goodwill and collaboration is the metaphor and not war.
- The RC process can be hyper-connected and hyper-transparent. It is your decision how to implement with your business model.
- Organizational cultures of the Do-The-Right Thing Mindset already earn and build relationship capital. They are just not accounting for it. The natural next step is to capture RC when earned and credit it to the leader’s RC account and roll it up across the organizational structure.
- Having an ecosystem of stakeholders passionate about consistently earning RC with each other in their interactions provides a powerful force for greater engagement and innovation.
- The principles and process for earning Relationship Capital (RC) provides a platform that integrates purpose, principles, and profit that is a competitive advantage to those firms who do not build strong high trust cultures.
- The social reward of Relationship Capital (RC) is an organization’s culture in action supported by time-tested principles that the professional community agrees to follow.
The game of Relationship Capital (RC) Rewards is based on a Do The Right Thing Mindset.
The information-empowered client/customer has a higher expectation of their relationship with a for-profit business organization. These firms need be become more HUMAN. To consistently earn relationship capital by displaying these Do the Right Thing principles with their clients/customers, employees, and other key stakeholder relationships.
Success today in this networked world is more about how we connect, collaborate, engender trust, deep loyalties, keep promises, and leverage human motivations thatearn this intangible asset called Relationship Capital (RC). The gamification of #RelationshipCapital may be one of the few ways to create a long-term competitive advantage in a business world of accelerating commoditization.
For organizations, their people, and their products/services to create this long-term distinction and sustainability in their markets, is very much dependent on their ability to earn relationship capital and scale trust with their stakeholders.
By applying the Octalysis Framework from Yu-Kai Chou to the Relationship Capital App, We believe we can better lead, motivate and engage our key stakeholders that create distinction and success in this increasingly commoditized digital and social business world. Let the games begin by out-behaving the competition with the gamification of Relationship Capital (RC).
- Originally Published on August 18th, 2015