Typeface Spread: Bodoni
After researching my assigned typeface Bodoni and writing 3 paragraphs of content for the spread, I started out by putting my content text in different sizes, leadings, and lengths and printed them out to try to figure out what creates the best readibility.
I then started to actually design by spread and focused on playing around with the position of the title, body text paragraphs, and images on a spread in Indesign. Bellow are a few examples of what I started out with:
I liked this color palette that I have created so I decided to continue with it. I also felt that including an image of Giambattista Bodoni himself is not neccessary and doesn’t add to my content so I decided to get rid of it and just use the image of the elegant dancer instead to represent the elegance feeling of Bodoni. I tried to include call outs of specific characteristics of some Bodoni font letters and I felt that this is an effective way of informing the uniqueness of my font to the audeinces so I decided to continue with this.
I played around with the different elements on my spread and ended up with this (shown above). However, after talking to Andrew, his main concern was that the right size of the spread feels too light and that I should try to add more black onto that size so it creates a balance with the left size. I agree with his comments and suggestions and played around with adding black on the side, bottom, or beside the yellow rectangles, but felt that they all look weird. At the end, I decided to go with simply making the call out texts black instead of white to create more weight on the right side of my spread and also increase the readability of my callouts with a greater contrast in color. Bellow is the spread that I had for the 1st formal spread crit:
After the first formal crit, I got feedback from my classmates, professors and TAs, and tried to solve some of these issues brought up to me. First of all, I realized that I have too many elements on my spread (title, quote, image, characteristic call out boxes) that are roughly similar sizes and similar in weight. Due to this, there isn’t really a part in my spread that is super eye-catching and bold. In addition, another suggestion that I got was to include a little more negative space since my spread feels very full. Also taking note of the other issues such as the characteristic call out boxes feels too low and the three paragraph content feels weird and disconnected with the last paragraph on its own, I tried to rearrange these different elements and chance the size of some of them on my spread.
I also tried to switch the side of the content to the right and the characteristic call out boxes to the left to see what it feels like as suggested by Vicki. At first, I tried to increase the black space of the image and placing the quote on the image so my spread doesn’t feel like it has too many different small elements, but I felt that the amount of black of the image is overpowering all of the other elements on my spread. Thus, I ended up placing the quote right above my image but keeping my image it’s original dimensions but making it a tiny bit smaller. Also, I decided to not have an actual large title and use the first word in my content paragraphs “Bodoni” somewhat as a title by making it boded and slightly larger than the rest of the text. By doing this, I hope that my audiences’ eyes will focus on the left side when they first look at it instead of being distracted with other elements that weight similarly on my spread.
Furthermore, I tried to make the first word “Bodoni” yellow and see what it feels but ended up switching it back to black since I felt that black works better because it creates a balance with the image. I also increased the readability of my quote by making it a darker yellowish-brownish color instead of the yellow I had before to create a better contrast with the background color. Bellow is an image of my final spread: