Discussion questions for “The Vote”:
1. After you’ve finished reading the story, does the meaning of the first sentence change?
2. If you were in charge, which words would you choose to eliminate first so that no one noticed?
3. If you could take part in The Vote, which word would you select, and why?
4. Does social media restrict your ability to express yourself? Either by a 140-character limit, or an all-purpose “Like” button?
5. After suffering a stroke, some victims are left with aphasia, which affects their ability to express or understand language. How might “The Vote” be a commentary on our aging society?
6. Some languages have a vocabulary of 100,000 words, while others just 30,000. Do you think this limits a culture’s ability to express itself?