Today’s Book Brief: Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
Jocko Willink and Leif Babin are Navy SEALs who have lead teams in life or death situations, where leadership has real consequences.
They wrote Extreme Ownership to give us 12 principles to lead and win in any situation.
- The leader must own everything in his or her world.
- There are no bad teams, only bad leaders. It’s not what you preach, it’s what you tolerate.
- A leader must be a true believer in the mission if they expect others to follow.
- Ego clouds and disrupts everything. Leaders must drop leave their egos at the door.
- All elements of the team must work together, mutually supporting one another.
- Simplifying as much as possible is crucial to success.
- Leaders need to prioritize and execute. Relax, look around, and make a call.
- Teams must be broken down into small/manageable size and decentralize command.
- Leaders must identify clear directives for the team.
- Leaders must lead down the chain — communicating the strategic vision.
- Leaders must make decisions quickly in uncertain situations.
- Leaders must balance discipline and freedom.
At Readitfor.me, we spark conversations that lead to your greatest work. We bring you the best ideas from the world’s most-read business books & bloggers.