Entrepreneur in the Making

It’s like the movie “Free Willy” but no whales or oceans, actually its not like the movie at all

I heard on a podcast once, that we are living according to a script where we don’t know the author, and compare it to other’s scripts. We see someone who lives to the age of 90, lived a full life and died peacefully in their sleep. When we see that script, we say we want that…but most of the time that is not the case…

2/29/2016 is not just a leap year, but the day that I made the leap in entrepreneurship. Gary Vaynerchuck, will say that there is no such thing as an overnight success and I can’t even begin to describe how true that is. The years of discipline and being buried in the dark learning and developing eventually break through the soil that at first may seem like what is preventing breakthrough, but is actually what nourishes.

In college I was asked by my academic adviser, friend, and International Econ professor what I wanted to do in life. I told him that I wanted to do something in sports. That was all I knew. He then drew on a piece of paper one circle that represented where I was currently, and then drew another circle on the opposite end of the paper representing what I wanted to do. He drew a line between the two and asked,

“How are you going to get there?”

I sat there looking at the sketch.

I had no idea.

Some of you might read this and might even feel the same. Drawing a line between where you are now and where you want to be, and you just have no idea. You might be able to do it backwards and realize, I have no idea how I ended up here currently?!

We have been sold a way of thinking in the West. Many know it by its common name, “Golden Handcuffs.” For years we have been taught education, which leads to a hopefully high paying job, which then leads to marriage, the 2.4 average for kids, and the ever dreaded min-van.

Have we ever thought through the ‘Why?’ of college/university? In his book Every Good Endeavor Tim Keller explains in an interview of soon to be graduating college seniors what respective fields they are going into and why. Answers varied from finance, to consulting and engineering, and the the common reasoning: Money.

We are currently in an oil slump and friends that were making 6-figures are now laid off. Friends that are working on doctorates, laid off. Friends who are looking to get into grad school for furthering their careers will end up in debt, in a time where student loans will become the next ‘2008 crisis.’ Granted, some will make it out debt free, others will regain employment, but my point is this: why are we putting so much value, time, and effort into what we perceive others will provide?

If the stats are true and roughly 20% of people in the U.S. actually like their jobs, then that means the other 80% are dying silently and miserably. Studies have continued to show that sitting at desk jobs is literally killing us. Consistent answers of broken systems, bad leadership, politics in the office, etc. are common themes but in the name of security we stay cuffed to our desks by invisible cuffs and scripts.

Like the Israelites in the desert, they wanted to go back because that is what they knew. They knew food and consistency was there. That is saying, “I would rather be a slave.” But if you take a step back of the story and look at all the cool stuff that happened, The Red Sea split in two for them to walk through on dry land, their ‘bosses’ (slave masters- were all destroyed! Who wouldn't want that?!), they were provided for miraculously with food, and clothing that didn't wear out! They were given a promise, they didnt know how they were going to get there, but they moved. Yes, granted there is a lot more to their story, but in the end they were not slaves! No handcuffs!

So, that is where I am today. I know the end result. I do not necessarily know how I am going to get there. I do know that since 2004 to presently I have learned, and have seen some cool things, done cool things and have even more to come. I have not taken the traditional route but thats because I know myself. I am not wired like everyone else. Risk and unknown is all I seem to know.

In the end, some of you might resonate with this. Others might be the actual 20% who like what they do! This is my adventure to the ‘Promised Land’ and I want you to come with me. All the frustrations, losses, failures, wins, cool things and victory!

I want to know if this does resonate with you. Are you an entrepreneur, want to be one? Whats holding you back?