Act 1: 6 Months in 60 Seconds
Since starting Just, I have done a poor job of chronicling the process, most importantly for myself. I am beginning to understand that reflection is a critical part of the learning process. So here we go, the last 6 months in bullet form.
- Our aspiration — Grameen 3.0
- Our vision — help people to save and earn more money to live less stressed and more joyful lives
Realization: More debt doesn’t mean less stress
- A Teacher and his student — the past and future of an entire industry in one week, both in Austin
- The past — Professor Ashe loves savings and believes in the power of the people
- The future — Alexandra Fiorill0 loves design and using research to understand behavior
Clarity emerges — we must be with the people BUT… How?
- A return to the concept of credit… bienvenida a Ivonne
- Ivonne… a woman of many things, some being: a new resident to the U.S. from Mexico, an entrepreneur, a former borrower of Compartamos, college educated and a single mother of two successful young adults
- Let’s start flying and worry about building the plane later
Hypothesis: Credit + a “meaningful” program = goodness
What’s a “meaningful” program?
Challenge: Build for flexibility and discipline
Answer: It sort of doesn’t work, at least not at first
- Rules need to be established to see if they need to be broken
- Program takes shape
- Goal is clear — 100 clients by August
Real Goal — build trust to learn from the inside out
- So far so good — first clients are showing up and repaying their loans
- Still trying to figure out how to fly the plane
What do clients really need?
- Creative absence occurs
- Ivonne creates a key breakthrough with the 4-Week Goal approach
New clarity emerges — Our program is built on three pillars:
1. Creating new mental models
2. Flexing the decision-making muscle
3. Forming new habits to make better decisions
- Creating can be isolating — a little help from our friends
- Trevor and Assemble are just right
- Ready, aim, test…
- Structure begins to emerge — Friday meetings, yes please!
- The house is literally and figuratively cleaned — Thanks Interns!
- Continue to refine 5 Frameworks for our friends
Now… (August 1st, 2016)
- 81 clients
- $91,000 lent
- 94.5% attendance
- 100% Repayment
- 1 List of Socias en Peligro
- And a ton more to learn