Denying responsibility resolved
Manage your people well
Case 1. Avoiding in making a decision
An employee avoids facing any choice shifts decision making to another staff member or just simply takes no control of the situation letting it to be either aggravated or improved somehow by itself.
- Find out the reason first
- Set a clear deadline for the decision
- Explain the consequences of making decisions
Case 2. Taking responsibility but doing nothing then
An employee claims they shoulder responsibility but at the same time they don’t take any effective actions in order to influence the situation, consider risks and consequences, provide the necessary result.
- Find out the reason again
- Learn the plan of their actions in this particular situation
- Agree on the control points
- Ask information about the action plan status
Case 3. Criticizing the situation only
An employee just defines risks and announces them but does not take any real action to change the situation.
- Criticize but suggest
- Criticize product not people
- Approve the final decision with the subordinate
Case 4. Giving up when first difficulties appear
An employee takes the necessary action but in case they faced with any difficulties, problems, obstacles or opposition they give up and think that the situation is hopeless.
- Find out the reason
- Inform the subordinate about work strategies in such situations, present the escalation matrix to them
- Use a coaching course for thought development in situations when something does not go according to the plan
- Accompany them in solving one particular task
Case 5. Blaming other people in case of failure
In case of negative consequences, an employee blames either other people or external circumstances. The person refuses to admit their role and bear responsibility in form of sanctions.
- Decide on sanctions ahead of the game
- Be able to give arguments and deal with objections that can arise while talking to such a subordinate
- Follow closely the implementation of the responsibility zone using the necessary sanctions