Cambridge Analytica to Analytic Quotient:: Why the FB-CA scandal is a watershed moment in social media
#IQ2EQ2SMQ SocialMedia Quotient ahead of SpiritualQuotient #IQ2EQ2SQ?
Can Facebook ensure another Cambridge Analytica, ‘the nefarious actor in this episode’, will not violate FaceBook’s terms & agreements?
- Started my day with the podcast on #CambridgeAnalytica on #BizRadioWharton with @DanLoney21.
- Our own media was on the news, big time! (image above).
- Ended the day with the alumni get-together, where the guest speaker was an analytics expert. Thankfully, we went ahead with the evening with equanimity, not troubled by FB/CAnalytica, but focussing on analytics quotient.
US elections to Kenyan elections, Brexit to Indian elections, and many more… affected? US, UK may take necessary steps to investigate. What about other countries? Cambridge Analytica is a British firm. We need a James Bond 007 or a Scotland Yard’s famous capabilities to go deep into this. Hope EU to take lead to come up tougher laws, a global benchmark for other countries to emulate. We cannot afford to miss this ‘opportunity’.
During the day came across this: Don’t delete Facebook, regulate it — The New York Times David Leonhardt Op-Ed Columnist
I would humbly add, keep the individual, the least protected, at the Centre.
A friend in need….
- Amidst all the chaos & clutter, got these messages from a friend, a fellow coach: “I was surprised to see # of apps using/accessing my FB data. So created a small pic to help friends. Do these 3 steps to reduce data leaks (a little) from your FB… Hope you’d find it useful.”
- Also, download what FB has already taken from us…? This can be done, from FB — > Setting — > “Download a copy of your Facebook data”, which tell huge information that FB has already taken from us! (Learn what data may be in your download: https://www.facebook.com/help/405183566203254)
These may be the most relevant messages for us, individuals, at this point of time? Feeling grateful!
How do we ensure appropriate use of technology, instead of throwing baby with water? Transactional (political) leaders are capable of only of that! It is also in the interest of Facebook & social media to look at these challenges from a long term, sustainable view. Which direction this prompts us to take? Academic research, with strong controls, got to be built in, with necessary controls. Something FB is guilty of not doing, proactively.
FB may still come around and be more open and look at this opportunity for a win-win-win solution. We all, including Government agencies, have a responsibility. What about other Frankenstein’s?
Here is how other corporates/leaders reacted
- #ElonMusk just deleted his account and Tesla Motors page. Here is why it is awesome, as per inc. magazine @tpopomaronis Interesting point of view?
Elon Musk Just Stunned Facebook, Deleting The SpaceX and Tesla Pages--Here's Why That's Awesome
Elon Musk just joined the #deletefacebook movement as he removed Tesla's and SpaceX's pages from the website . The two…
2. Some will look at it an opportunity #SWOT :( And media & capital market will look at the ‘opportunity’ too, instead of taking an ethical position about it?@reuters
Breakingviews - Facebook crisis could bust digital-ad duopoly
(Reuters Breakingviews) - Facebook's crisis could turn digital advertising's duopoly into a triopoly. Marketers spooked…
It all boils down to leadership, to counter the greed and compromise on ethics. Transformational Leadership, at all levels, in all areas… anyone?
3. This is what our corporates are doing, ‘advertisers post queries on FB’s wall…’ Too much to expect them to take a strong position on ethics & values ?! 😡😫 @NestleIndia afterall used FB with their #WeMissYouToo.
This is not about Just FB, CA, Elon Musk/Tesla, our corporates. It is about our ethics & values
DYK there are many in the ‘industry’ who think it is not unethical to conduct psychological experiments, without consent!
Data Literacy is the key. Take personal responsibility for your own data protection.
Whether #Facebook or #CambridgeAnalytics of the world chooses it or not, we have a choice… Choose to protect our own data, and be mindful of our online presence. It is a great opportunity to also step back from social media, and connect with real people. I just did. That would mean move from social media addiction to mindful social media quotient (#SMQuotient)?
#IQ2EQ2SMQ could be a stepping stone to #IQ2EQ2SQ
PS: ‘In the wake of the Cambridge Analytica imbroglio, 50 million Facebook profiles stand compromised. One upshot: ‘Users must learn to protect themselves.’ http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/fallout-cambridge-analytica/